Events of Basque art and culture, its traditions or our rural sport that I have selected to enjoy in the company of my family and friends in December 2023. But I also want to share it with the clients and visitors of the Aitor Delgado Tours website!
The clients of Aitor Delgado Tours also receive this information in a personalized way in their tours. I suggest only the Basque culture activities in December 2023 that I am sure would fit into your travel plan and interests.
Enjoy Basque culture in Bilbao and Biscay in December 2023
- Picasso sculptor. Matter and body. Sculpture as an expression of art, comparable to painting, drawing, engraving or ceramics. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From September 29th to January 14th, 2024.
- Pablo Picasso: Mousquetaire à la pipe (1968). The only painting by the painter in public collections in the Basque Country. It is accompanied by Bust of a Knight III (1967) from the Banco Santander collection. Room 20. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From October 18th to March 10th, 2024.
- Gego. Measuring infinity. Retrospective of the German-Venezuelan artist Gertrud Goldschmidt, known as Gego and for her unique approach to the language of abstraction. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From November 7th to February 4th, 2024.
- 50 years with you. Mocedades and Los Panchos. Mocedades was born in the city of Bilbao at the end of the sixties. Campos Eliseos Theater. December 1st.
- Nature On: Itsasaldi. Immersive light show specific to Bilbao: tribute to the power of the sea, and its flora and fauna. More than 300 light sculptures related to the sea. Artxanda Viewpoint in Bilbao. From December 5th to January 21st, 2024.
- Durangoko Azoka. The great annual fair of Basque culture: writers, musicians, culture lovers, Basque speakers, media…. Presentation of new projects. Landako fairgrounds, Durango. Musical groups in Plateruena. From December 6th to 10th.
- Rooster regatta. 80 cruiser and J 80 class vessels sail under the Suspension Bridge. Getxo, Sestao and Portugalete. December 16th.
- Prelude to Christmas in Bilbao. Ballets Olaeta Association and the Bilbao Municipal Band. Evocation of Basque folklore through the fusion of music and dance. Arriaga Theater. December 20th.
- Dizdizka Zeruan (Shining in the sky). Carols from all over the world. Leioa Choral Song. One of the most prestigious international children’s choirs. Arriaga Theater. December 22nd.
- “Bilbao is Ballet” Gala and Award. Space in which the protagonist is Biscay talent in the field of Classical Ballet. 4 professionals who succeed around the world, scholarship students at international schools and Dance Schools. Euskalduna Palace. December 27th.
Basque culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava
- Interconnected. New temporary sample. Selection of the new arrivals that have occurred in the Alava Fine Arts Museum in recent years. From June 29th to January 31st, 2024.
- 48th International Theater Festival. This year’s motto “The stage is yours, Ikuslea Ikusgai”. 31st shows. Principal Theatre. From October 5th to December 3rd.
- Almond Market. Exhibition and sale of food and craft products. Entertainment and various commerce, gastronomy and cultural activities. Medieval Helmet of Vitoria-Gasteiz. December 2nd.
- Traditional nativity scenes in Vitoria-Gasteiz. Monumental Nativity Scene in Florida Park, with more than 200 life-size figures. Nativity scenes from the Sacred Heart School, the one from the Casa del Cordón, the Nativity scenes from the Villa-Suso Palace or those from the Álava Nativity Scene Association. From December 3rd to January 6th.
- Ardoaraba. The Rioja Alavesa food and wine festival where you can taste the best wines, txakolis and ciders from the Alava province. Alava wine culture, gastronomy and gourmet products. From December 6th to 9th.
- B.B. King Spirituals. A sense of homage to the king of the blues. Gospel Chicago Mass Choir. Principal Theater. December 12th.
- ‘Pillares Sonoros’: Concert of the Municipal Music Band of Vitoria-Gasteiz. The music is inspired by elements of architecture. Principal Theater. December 13th.
- Christmas concert. Choral group: Donostiarra Orfeón. Founded in 1897, it is one of the bastions of Basque culture. Principal Theater. December 16th.
- Lux Codex, Chamber Choir. ‘Between the divine and the earthly’. Works by various authors from the 16th century. Dendaraba Theater, Caja Vital Foundation. December 19th.
- Album Trinchera Pop. Concert by Iván Ferreiro and his band. An enormous, round and explosive disco. Principal Theater December 21st.
- Articulated nativity scene from the town of Laguardia, Álava. Baroque nativity scene with 73 pieces in Rococo style, all of them in movement. Santa María de los Reyes Church. Performances: December 25th, January 1st and 6th, and February 6th.
- Lost Letters (Cartas Perdidas). Choreography by Matthew Golding. Lucia Lacarra Ballet. She has been a principal dancer with the Ballets de Marseille, San Francisco, the Munich Opera and Dortmund. Principal Theater. December 29th.
Basque culture activities in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in December 2023
- “Balenciaga. Character”. Second exhibition of the curatorial series focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 17th to January 14th, 2024.
- “Hic sunt dracones” (There are dragons here). Expression that alerted sailors to the danger of the unknown. Exhibition by Guipuzcoan artist Mikel Otxoteko. Laboratory Room of the San Telmo Museum. From September 20th to January 7th, 2024.
- John M. Blundall Master Puppeteer. British puppeteer, craftsman, visual artist, set designer, teacher and collector. He founded the Cannon Hill Puppet Theater company. TOPIC – Tolosa International Puppet Center. From September 22nd to February 18th, 2024.
- Olentzero in Mirandaola. Olentzero is the Basque Christmas character. Mari Domingui and Napoleon the donkey will also be waiting for the children. Basque Iron Museum and Mirandaola Ironworks, Legazpi. From November 4th to December 23rd.
- Titirijai. 41st Tolosa International Puppet Festival. TOPIC – Tolosa International Puppet Center. From November 25th to December 3rd.
- V Sagardo Forum: cider and nature, connecting territories. Dedicated to the apple and its apple derivatives; and to cider culture and tourism. IV International Cider Competition. III International Cider Fair. Kursaal Palace. From November 30th to December 3rd.
- Christmas in San Sebastian: Santo Tomás Fair, Christmas Children’s Park, Crafts Fair and the Great Ferris Wheel, Christmas Market and the San Silvestre race. From November 30th to January 8th.
- ‘Pleasures and sins’. Eighth album by singer-songwriter Vanesa Martín. Kursaal Palace. December 2nd.
- Dance Me, music by Leonard Cohen. Ballets Jazz Montreal. Exclusive creation, inspired by the rich and profound work of the poet, artist and composer from Montréal. Victoria Eugenia Theater. December 5th.
- Copland and Mahler. Euskadiko Orkestra: Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Juraj Valcuha, director. Anthem of the United Nations Organization on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, with texts in Basque. Kursaal Palace. December 13th and 14th.
- “Hemen Berriro” (Here Again). Sara Azurza in concert. Quartet. Pop, soul, funky and electronic music. Zabalaga Farmhouse of the Chillida Leku Museum. December 15th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our custom and private tours in December 2023.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our Basque Country bespoke private tours, you can contact us.