Events of Basque art and culture, its traditions or our rural sport that I have selected to enjoy in the company of my family and friends in the month of August 2023. But I also want to share it with the clients and visitors of the Aitor Delgado Tours website!
The clients of Aitor Delgado Tours also receive this information in a personalized way in their tours. I suggest only the Basque culture activities for the month of August 2023 that I am sure would fit into your travel plan and interests.
Basque culture activities in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in August 2023
- “Moilak (in the Basque language: ports). Traditionally Innovative“. Seaports are accesses or doors that open or close depending on the prevailing economic, political and diplomatic circumstances. Places of transfer of people, goods, ideas, projects and cultures. Basque Maritime Museum of San Sebastian. From February 16th to January 26th, 2024.
- “Balenciaga. Character”. Second exhibition of the curatorial series focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 17th to January 14th, 2024.
- Exhibition of the British artist Phyllida Barlow. Gravity, mass and materiality as elements of union between both artists. Zabalaga Farmhouse, Chillida Leku Museum. From May 24th to October 22nd.
- Exhibition “Traveling to paint. Sorolla in San Sebastian”. One hundred years after the death of the painter Joaquín Sorolla. San Telmo Museum. From June 15th to October 17th.
- Basque League of Traineras. Regattas with popular festivities. San Sebastián, Hondarribia, Orio, Pasaia, Zarautz and Zumaia. From July 1st to September 17th.
- 84th San Sebastian Musical Fortnight. Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Plural Ensemble, Ballet Preljocaj, Chamber Orchestra of Europe,… Kursaal Auditorium. From August 3 to September 1.
- Summer Musical Cycle in Zarautz. A concert every Friday of the month of August. Judith Jauregi’s piano recitals. From August 4th to 25th.
- Chinese Grand Acrobatic Circus. 30 professionals on stage, among others, Olympic medalists and acrobats from Cirque Du Soleil. From August 10th to 13th.
- Great Week of San Sebastian. “Cañonazo“, International Fireworks Competition, concerts, theatre, exhibitions, swimming from Getaria to San Sebastian, horse races, a beach volleyball tournament, “herri-kirolak” (Basque rural sport)… From August 12th to 19th.
- Commemoration of August 31th. Fire that devastated the city in 1813 during the War of Independence. Lighting of the candles on the balconies and in the street, txistularis, torches, riflemen, trumpets, trikitilaris… August 31st.
Basque culture events in Bilbao and Biscay
- Oskar Kokoschka. A rebel from Vienna. Great retrospective of the Austrian artist. In collaboration with the Musée d’Art Moderne de Paris. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From March 17th to September 3rd.
- Lynette Yiadom-Boakye. Exhibition of the work of the London writer and artist, who is recognized for her portraits of timeless characters captured in everyday moments of happiness, camaraderie and solitude. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From March 31st to September 10th.
- Exhibition “Yayoi Kusama: 1945 until today”. 200 paintings, sculptures, performances, moving images, large-scale installations, and archival material by the famous Japanese artist. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From June 27th to October 8th.
- Eusko Label League of Traineras. The party of the sea that is enjoyed on land. Bermeo, Portugalete, Bilbao and Getxo. The Basque Regatta League holds 20 races from July to September.
- Pozalagua Festival…Musical shows in the open air in front of the Pozalagua Cave, with impeccable acoustics. Karrantza. From August 4th to 6th.
- Totally Tina. The best international tribute show to Tina Turner. Champs Elysees Theatre. August 8th.
- Grease, the musical. Rock and roll musical about the complexities of friendships, personal values, love and more. Euskalduna Palace. From August 17th to September 3rd.
- The choir boys. Musical. Music and art as an incentive for personal growth. Forgotten boys and girls, of innocence, of play, of love and even of effort and enthusiasm. Arriaga Theater. From August 17th to September 10th.
- Big Week in Bilbao. Aste Nagusia. Chupinazo, proclamation, Marijaia, more than 100 free performances in 8 spaces… From August 19th to 23rd.
Enjoy Basque culture in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in August 2023
- Nicolas Tarkhoff (1871-1930). 9 works by the Russian painter from the Tubacex de Llodio Group Art Collection. Alava Museum of Fine Arts. From February 23rd to October 15th.
- Exhibition: Person, photo, copy. The artist Julia Spínola presents her new creations and her previous works. Artium Museum of Vitoria-Gasteiz. From June 2nd to September 10th.
- Celedón magazine, apology for the Vitoria fiesta (1918-1935). Temporal exposition. Fournier Museum of Playing Cards in Álava, BIBAT. From June 8th to October 15th.
- Theatre: Álava Squares 2023. Circuit of Street Arts in the squares of the province of Álava. 41 theater, clown, dance and circus shows. From June 3rd in Oyón and Nanclares de Oca, to September 9th in Zambrana.
- Interconnected. New temporary sample. Selection of the new arrivals that have occurred in the Alava Fine Arts Museum in recent years. From June 29th to January 31st, 2024.
- Festival EatCulture. Festival of local gastronomy and products km 0, accompanied by culture. Fiesta Brasileña, Fiesta Mexicana and Fiesta Años 70 y 80; and more activities of humor, magic… Villa-Lucía. From June 30th to September 8th.
- Square culture! Culture in the squares of Vitoria-Gasteiz this summer. Performing arts and music in the neighborhoods. Dance, puppets, circus, theater and music. From July 11th to August 31st.
- Fiestas de la Blanca in Vitoria-Gasteiz. Descent of Celedón, famous and emblematic character. Musical shows, theater, gastronomic and craft fairs, fireworks, tastings, recitals by well-known bertsolaris, an Arab souk… From August 4th to 9th.
- Chamber concert: Tanguedia Ensemble. Program-homage to the Argentine bandoneoist and composer Astor Piazzolla. Luis Aramburu municipal music school. August 5th.
- Rioja Alavesa Spherical Festival 2023. Music, gastronomy, art and land. Elciego, Elvillar/Bilar, Laguardia, Lapuebla de Labarca, Samaniego, Villabuena de Álava, Eskuernaga. From August 18th to 20th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our custom and private tours in August 2023.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our bespoke private tours, you can contact us