I share with you the selection of Basque culture events, its traditions or our rural and current sports, that I will love to enjoy in the company of my family and friends in the month of April 2023.
The clients of Aitor Delgado Tours also receive this information in a personalized way in their tours. I suggest only the Basque culture activities for the month of April 2023 that I am sure would fit into your travel plan and interests.
Basque cultural activities in Bilbao and Biscay in April 2023
- Joan Miró. The absolute reality. Paris, 1920–1945. In the search to recover the ordinary spiritual sense of him. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 10th to May 28th, 2023.
- Oskar Kokoschka. A rebel from Vienna. Great retrospective of the Austrian artist. In collaboration with the Musée d’Art Moderne de Paris. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From March 17th to September 3rd.
- Lynette Yiadom-Boakye. Exhibition of the work of the London writer and artist, who is recognized for her portraits of timeless characters captured in everyday moments of happiness, camaraderie and solitude. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From March 31st to September 10th.
- Holy Week in the province of Bizkaia. Specials: Living Stations of the Cross in Balmaseda and the Procession of the Nazarene in Bilbao. In addition, there are processions in Berango, Bermeo, Durango, Markina-Xemein, Orduña and Zaratamo. From April 2nd to 16th.
- “Arnasak”. Concert by the Bilbao Txistularis Band and the Oinkari dance company. Traditional melodies and Basque dances full of strength and joy. Euslkalduna Palace. April 3rd.
- 62nd Itzulia Basque Country – Cycling Tour 2023. 992,5 kilometers in 6 stages, one in Individual Time Trial. Many associated activities. Amurrio / Eibar / Hondarribia / Laudio/Llodio / Mallabia / Vitoria-Gasteiz / Zamudio. From April 3rd to 8th.
- Bilbao Basque Fest 2023. Artistic samples of Basque culture for those who visit Bilbao at Easter. Basque rural dances, traditional dances, typical music, local gastronomy, cinema and Basque fashion. From April 5th to 9th.
- Living Passion of Balmaseda. A Living Via Crucis carried out by more than 700 neighbors. Tradition since 1480 due to a plague epidemic. A unique experience in the Basque Country. April 6th and 7th.
- IReality. Dakris, the Invisible Magician. First National Magic Award, television creative and winner of the best magician of the year award. Champs Eliseos Theatre. April 22nd and 23th.
- Giselle. International Ballet Company, with soloists from Moldova, Ukraine and Italy. Spring Tour 2023. Campos Eliseos Theatre. April 27th.
- Concert by Luz Casal. Arriaga Theater. April 30th and May 1st.
Enjoy Basque culture in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava
- “Black Place” by Jutta Koether. First monographic exhibition in Spain of the German painter in the more than 30 years of her work. Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country. From October 28th, 2022 to April 16th, 2023.
- Rafael Lafuente: Compositions. Exhibition of the work of this painter born in Vitoria-Gasteiz. Paintings, drawings, processes and projects… from his life. Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country – Artium Museoa. From January 20th to May 14th.
- The night of San Juan. Ballet that was unpublished in 1939 due to the Civil War. Recovered by the Juan March Foundation, in co-production with the Gran Teatre del Liceu. Principal Theater. April 1st.
- The sound of magic. Municipal Music Band and the magician Asier Kidam. In Basque. Principal Theater. April 2nd.
- Holy Week in the province of Álava. Special: the popular “Burning of Judas” in Lagrán. There are also processions in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Laguardia, Salinas de Añana and Baños de Ebro. From April 2nd to 16th.
- Holy Week in Vitoria-Gasteiz. It dates back to 1538. Procession of Silence and the Holy Burial. Steps: image of Christ on the Cold Stone (Ecce Homo), the Holy Thorn (a relic guarded in Álava since 1555), and the image of the Flagellation of Christ, of great artistic value. From April 2nd to 16th.
- BilbaoSinfonietta & and the singer Geraldine Ramirez. Chamber Orchestra. Principal Theater. April 22nd.
- Concert of the Ondas de Jazz cycle: Carlos Bica & Azul. Jesus Guridi Conservatory. April 25th.
- Festivities of San Prudencio and Our Lady of Estíbaliz. Retreat, tamborrada, pilgrimage to the sanctuary of Armentia and festivals in the fields, potato omelette contest, Basque rural sports, and the aurresku and loose dance championships. From April 27th to May 1st.
Basque culture events in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in April 2023
- Zero gravity. An exhibition of works with which Eduardo Chillida explored the phenomenon of gravity and the fight against it. Chilllida-Leku Museum. From November 24th, 2022 to May 1st, 2023.
- Exhibition “The golden age of fashion. From haute couture to pret a porter. 1930-1970″. Pieces from the Usabiaga collection. Jantziaren Zentroa / Costume Center. Rentería. From January 22nd to May 28th.
- Joaquín Cortés – Essence. Number one in Spanish dance in the world. Cast of 30 artists. Auditorium of the Kursaal Palace. April 2nd.
- Holy Week in the province of Gipuzkoa. Special: the Procession of the Holy Burial in Azkoitia and the living Way of the Cross in Segura. There are also processions in Hondarribia and Pasaia. From April 2nd to 16th.
- Holy Week in Segura. Solemnity, religiosity and unique folklore in the entire province of Guipúzcoa. Documented since the beginning of the 17th century. From April 2th to 16th.
- Great Symphony Orchestra and Choir – Mozart’s Requiem. Penultimate of Mozart’s symphonies, the 40th. Auditorium of the Kursaal Palace. April 6th.
- Yoshida Brothers and Yuki Tsuchida. Basque Country-Japan Year. Virtuoso players of tsugaru shamisen. Victoria Eugenia Theater. April 11th.
- Metamorphosis Dance (Iratxe Ansa + Igor Bacovich): Prima and CreAcción. Two dances that are presented one each day. Victoria Eugenia Theater. April 13th and 15th.
- Victor Manuel – 75th anniversary tour. One of the most famous singer-songwriters in Spain. Auditorium of the Kursaal Palace. April 23rd.
- Sagardo Eguna. Errenteria Cider Day. 40 cider houses in the Basque Country. Alameda de Gamón, Lehendakari Agirre and Foru Plaza. Be sure to appreciate the pintxos made with veal meat with the Eusko Label. April 29th.
- Collection Plants Fair. 47 nurserymen present their collections to admire or buy plants that are little known in the Basque Country but are easy to grow in gardens and on balconies. And take advantage and enjoy the Iturraran Botanical Garden. Pagoeta Natural Park in Aia. April 29th and 30th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in April 2023.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us.