Agenda of traditions, arts, music, sports, events and exhibitions. Vitoria-Gasteiz in December 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities that take place in Vitoria-Gasteiz in December 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial visitor or foreigner can fully enjoy. Theater plays, cultural, sporting or social events focused on local audiences, among others, are not suggested.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Arts, congresses and exhibitions:
- From January 17th until December, 18th. “Windows to the Basque art collection” between the years 1850-1950. Artists who introduced the new artistic languages -impressionism, symbolism or Fauvism- in the Basque Country, after passing through Paris and other European capitals. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From February 8th, 2020, until further notice. Exhibition “Zeru bat, hamaika bide: artistic practices in the Basque Country between 1977 and 2002”. Room A0, of the Artium Contemporary Art Museum Center. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From July 21st until January 10th, 2021. Exhibition of the Bilbao painter Fernando García Alegría (1895 – 1952). 2020 marks the 125th anniversary of the birth of “Fernando”. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From September 25th until March 21st, 2021. “Ignacio Figueroa, Marquis of Villamejor”. A portrait by Joaquín Bárbara y Balza: life and work of an artista recovered [1867–1931]. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From October 3rd to February 1st, 2021. XVII International Cycle of Contemporary Music. Bernaola Festival is an important cultural event whose objective is to spread the diversity of the music of the 21st century. Different places in the city: Artium, Jesús Guridi Conservatory of Music … In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From October 8th until March 7th, 2021. Moyra Davey exhibition. First solo exhibition of the artist, whose work circulates between the fields of photography, cinema and writing. Artium Museum. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From November 6th, 2020 to January 30th, 2021. Photographic Exhibition – Florida Park 200 years. Photographs of the Municipal Archive “Pilar Aróstegui”. Ignacio Aldecoa House of Culture, in La Florida Park itself. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From November 27th to January 2nd, 2021. VIII Aitzina Folk Festival. A solidarity festival since 2013 with a double mission: the dissemination of folk, with music, dance and workshops, and support for the fight to investigate a rare disease called ataxia telangiectasia. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From December 4th to May 2nd, 2021. June Crespo exhibition: Helmets. Sculptor from Navarra awarded several times. Room A1, of the Artium Contemporary Art Museum Center. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From December 5th until 20th. VI Mazoka – Drawing and Illustration Market. Graphic festival of lovers of drawing and illustration, and various related parallel activities: musical performances, workshops, lectures, demonstrations, etc. Old Water Deposit. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 11th. Euskadiko Orkestra – Season of subscription: Enigmatikoa. D. Shostakovich and R. Schumann. Basque Country Symphony Orchestra. Antzokia Principal Theater. Concert sessions at 17:30 and 19:30. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 16th. Concert of the Municipal Music Band: ‘La Vitoria de Beethoven’. Concert for the 250th anniversary of the birth of Ludwig van Beethoven. Antzokia Principal Theater. Concert sessions at 19:00. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From December 16th to 19th. Cortada 2020 – XXIV Vitoria-Gasteiz Short Film Festival. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 17th. Theater: From Gernika to New York, passing through Berlin. Jose Antonio Agirre’s journey through occupied Europe, after being forced to leave for exile in 1937. Teatro Principal Antzokia. Concert sessions at 19:00. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 18th. Comedy: They all hurt and one kills. Antzokia Principal Theater. Concert sessions at 19:00. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Decembre 19th. Musikagileak 2020-2021: Ensemble Sinkro. Jesús Guridi Conservatory of Music. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 26th. Hesia urraturik: Xabier Lete in memoriam. Symphonic choral oratorio written by Joxan Goikoetxea to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the death of Xabier Lete. Antzokia Principal Theater. Concert sessions at 19:00. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- From December 28th to 30th. 150 gr. Performing Arts Festival in the market 2020. You can enjoy short pieces of theater, clown, dance, puppetry or cabaret, which are offered continuously throughout the day in consecutive passes. Gorbea-Zaldiarán Market. Gorbeia Street, 38. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
Best traditions and festivals that are celebrated in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Álava in December 2020:
- From December 1st until February 7th. Articulated nativity scene. One of the few baroque nativity scenes with movement that are preserved today. Set of 73 pieces of which most are Rococo style. Church of Santa Maria de los Reyes. In Laguardia.
- The shops on the street will be from December 4th until 8th. Ardoaraba: Wine Fair. Route of bars and presentations of pintxos and wine tasting of Rioja Alavesa. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 20th. Candle Night. On Friday before Christmas Eve the fire announces the arrival of Christmas. More than 15,000 candles decorate the streets and main squares: Matxete Square, The Arquillos, Saint Miguel Balcony, Burullería Square… In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 22nd. Christmas Farmers’ and Craft Market. Exhibition, sale and tasting of agricultural and livestock products mainly from Alava producers. Contest and exhibition of birds. Plaza de España (food) and Lehendakari Aguirre Street (crafts). In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 23th and 24th. The Olentzero and Mary Domingi Cavalcade. In Vitoria-Gasteiz, Bilbao and San Sebastian. Cancelled.
- From December 23rd until January 6th, 2021. Belen Monumental. Popular tradition since 1962. Composed of more than 200 human figures, buildings and hundreds of animals and accessories. Florida Park. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- December 24th. Agricultural and crafts fair. Christmas market. Exhibition and sale of homemade products: honey, cheese, txakoli, etc…. In Amurio.
Regarding Basques and others sports in Vitoria-Gasteiz:
- From 10 in the morning to 10 at night. Ice skating in the Florida Park. From December 18th until January 10th. Cancelled.
- Sunday, December 19th. 43rd Half marathon. Cancelled.
- December 31st. 38th San Silvestre Career. Tour the city center on the afternoon of the last day of the year. Cancelled.
In our excursions you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities available during your stay in Vitoria-Gasteiz or the cities or towns of the province of Álava.
Contact us for any information about our tours in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Álava at this link.