Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda. San Sebastian or nearby in May 2020.
We select for you the best cultural, traditional, festive, sports, professional and exhibition activities that occur in San Sebastian (Spain) or nearby in May 2020.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best traditions and festivities happening in San Sebastian:
- The cider season begins on January 15th and runs until May 24th. Season of the Basque Cider. The main area in the Basque Country is in Astigarraga (near San Sebastián). There are some 51 Basque cider houses in Guipúzcoa, 10 in Vizcaya and 2 in Alava. In Astigarraga.
- Wednesdays at Damarri Plaza and Saturdays at the Port. Agricultural Fair. Sale of local products. In Hondarribia.
- Every Saturday. Agricultural Fair. Farm products fair. In Tolosa.
- Every Saturday. Agricultural Fair. Vegetable Fair. In Irun.
- May 2nd and 3rd. Basque Cheese Fair. Contest and fair of Basque sheep cheeses in the city which gives the name to the Denomination of Origin of this Basque delicacy. During the morning you can see a shepherd leading the sheep. In Idiazabal, Gipuzkoa.
- From May 3rd to 10th. Feast of the Holy Cross in Legazpi and Mirandaola Day. On May 3, 1580, a miracle happened at the Mirandaola Ironworks. In Mirandaola and Legazpi.
- From May 9th until 12th. Haragi: International meeting of the meat and the grill. In Tolosa.
- May 17th. Sagardo Eguna (Cider Day). Pouring Championship. In Usurbil.
- From May 28th until June 1st. Maritime Festival. Meeting of traditional boats from different places on the European continent. In Pasaia.
- From May 29th until 31st. Feast of sea bream and cider. Menu meals and dinners based on sea bream, pairing dinners, screenings, theater-dance show and other activities. In Tolosa.
Arts and exhibits in San Sebastian in May 2020:
- From November 27th, 2019 until May 31st. Exhibition: “Elkano. The first tour of the world”. Basque Maritime Museum.
- From December 6th, 2019 until June 1st 2020. Eduardo Chillida: Seeking the light expo. From a trip that the sculptor made in 1963 through Greece, Italy and French Provence in which he discovers new concepts around light and architecture. Chillida Leku. In Hernani.
- From May 1st until 3rd. Tango Festival. With demonstrations and free courses. Victoria Eugenia Theater.
- From May 6th until 10th. Spain Poker Championship. Second stage of the circuit. Kursaal Casino.
- May 7th and 11th. Program: New World. Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Kursaal Auditorium.
- From May 8th to 10th. Sevatur: Hall of Evasion and Tourism. Kursaal Palace.
- May 15th. Gala D´Étoiles. With world stars from the Teatro de La Scala Milano, San Francisco Ballet, Kremlin Ballet and Russian Classical Ballet. Kursaal Auditorium.
- From May 15th until 23rd. Musikaste: Musical Week. Festivity that has been celebrated since 1974, with the purpose of promoting and promoting the autochthonous musical culture. In Errenteria.
- May 17th. Symphonic Pop Live! Queen, Beatles, ABBA, Elvis,… Kursaal Auditorium.
- May 18th. International Museum Day. Wide range of activities for several days. In all Basque Country.
- May 22nd. Pianist and writer James Rhodes in concert for the 250th anniversary of Beethoven’s birth. Kursaal Auditorium.
- March 24th. Film Symphony Orchestra: FSO TOUR 19 | 20. The best movie music in concert! Kursaal Palace.
- May 24th and June 21st. Beethoven and his time. 250th anniversary celebration of the birth of Ludwig van Beethoven. Kursaal Auditorium.
- May 26th. National Dance Company. Kursaal Auditorium.
- May 29th and June 1st. Program: Transcendence. Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Kursaal Auditorium.
Basque sports near to San Sebastian:
- May 3rd. Flysch Trail. Mountain race along the Basque coast. 27 kilometers and a drop of 1,640 meters. In Zumaia.
- May 4th, 7th, 14th, 18th, 21st, 25th and 28th. Pelote Basque to Grand Chistera. Championnat de France. Parc Mazon. In Biarritz.
- May 24th. Alpina Zegama-Aizkorri Marathon 2020. Qualifying event for the Golden Trail World Series 2020. More than 42 kilometers. In Zegama.
- May 30th and 31st. X Riders. Festival of extreme sports motorcycle and bicycle: Three sessions of 2h15 per day. Halle d’Iraty. In Biarritz.
In our excursions you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities that are available during your stay in San Sebastian or surrounding cities or towns.