Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in September 2020.
We select for you the best cultural, traditional, festive, sports, professional and exhibition activities that occur in San Sebastian (Spain) or Gipuzkoa in September 2020.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best Basques traditions and festivities:
- Wednesdays at Damarri Plaza and Saturdays at the Port. Agricultural Fair. Sale of local products. In Hondarribia.
- Every Saturday. Agricultural Fair. Farm products fair. In Tolosa.
- Every Saturday. Agricultural Fair. Vegetable Fair. In Irun.
- From September 1st until 9th. Basque parties. Popular food, music in the streets, trikitixa contest, dance performances or recitals of improvisers. In Zarautz.
- September 6th. Artzain Eguna. Shepherd Day. Sheep Cheese Contest of Gipuzkoa. Shepherd Dog Contest. In Legazpi.
- September 8th. Guadalupe Virgin Day. With a traditional parade “Alarde” upto the sanctuary of Guadalupe. In Hondarribia.
- September 19th. Octopus day. Activities of: tasting, exhibition and gastronomic competition. Eusebio Gurrutxaga Square. In Zumaia
- From September 20th. Agricultural, artisan and livestock fair. XX Agricultural, livestock and piparra fair. XV Gastronomic Championship of the Basque Country of Piparra. X Meeting of the Piparra of the Basque Country. XXII Tolosaldea honey contest. In Ibarra.
- September 20th. Apple and cider day. Exhibition of apples and taste of top quality cider. Trikitixa Championship, the mycological exhibition, ball games, popular food, dance exhibition and musical performances. In Hernani.
- September 27th. Mycological fair. XXII Gastronomic Mycological Conference. Perretxiko Jaia (Perretxiko Festival).
- September 27th. Sagar Uzta. Cider party. Apple party. Preparation of the first must of the 2020 harvest. Cider dance, kirikoketa, txalaparta and tasting of the must prepared. Apple exhibition, cider and must tasting, demonstrations, sale of local products. In Astigarraga.
Arts, congress and exhibits in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa:
- From April to September. Ignacio Zuloaga cultural space. Studio of famous Basque pintos of recognized international prestige. Santiago House. Private visits all year. In Zumaia.
- From November 27th, 2019 to December 2020. Exhibition: “Elkano. The first travel around the world”. The expo claims that the first circumnavigation was possible thanks to Elcano’s initiative and his nautical knowledge. Basque Maritime Museum.
- From December 6th, 2019 until January 30th 2021. Eduardo Chillida: Seeking the light expo. From a trip that the sculptor made in 1963 through Greece, Italy and French Provence in which he discovers new concepts around light and architecture. Squeak Leku. In Hernani.
- From February 29th to January 10th, 2021. Fashion and Heritage: Cristóbal. It puts the focus on Cristóbal Balenciaga himself and the imprint he has left behind as a person through various objects that belonged to him and that have been collected in the Museum’s collections. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
- From June 19th until October 25th. Margaret Watkins: Black Light. Exhibition with the work of a reference photographer from the 20th century. International Center for Contemporary Culture Tabakalera.
- From July 1st to October 2nd. Balenciaga Collection by designer Azzedine Alaïa. Unpublished exhibition under the direction of the renowned Olivier Saillard, curator of fashion exhibitions and former director of the Palais Galliera, Paris Fashion Museum. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria. Dates under review by the organizers.
- From July 30th to November 1st. Exhibition “Postigo: Chronicle of a time”. Sample of the social, cultural, sports and political chronicle from the 70s to the 90s of the photojournalist Fernando Postigo. San Telmo Museum.
- September 4th and 5th. Top 100+ Medical Laser Congress. Organized by Reference Medical. Kursaal – Conference Center.
- From September 4th until 6th. Approach to the techniques of Haute Couture tailoring. Master class. Instructor: Javier Martín. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
- From September 7th and 11st. Digital Health Congress: Digital Health in times of COVID. Miramar Palace.
- On September 18th and 19th. Donostia Kutxa Kultur Festibala. Hippodrome of San Sebastian. Big party around independent music.
- From September 18th until 20th. EKODRIVE, Sustainable Vehicle Fair. Offer of electric and hybrid cars, bicycles and electric scooters. FICOBA. In Irún.
- From September 18th to 26th. 68th International Film Festival “Zinemaldia”. The Donostia Prize, this year, goes to actor Viggo Mortesen. Kursaal .
- From From September 18th to 26th. Sebastiane (LGBTQ) Awards: Sebastiane Award of the San Sebastian International Festival and the Sebastiane Latino Award.
- September 28th and 29th. Schubert. Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Kursaal Auditorium.
- From September 28th until 30th. TV RISE 2020. It is one of the very best events on the future of TV and video advertising. Maria Cristina Hotel.
- September 30th. Eurogap Marketing Forum. Meeting of professionals from the business world. Kursaal Auditorium.
- Next October 1st and 2nd. I International Congress on Cristóbal Balenciaga. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. 125th anniversary of the birth of the brilliant dressmaker. In Getaria.
Basque sports in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in September 2020:
- Different dates from June to September. Horse races. Racecourse.
- From September 4th until 6th. Sport Jam Surf Test. Surf festival where you can discover and try materials of this sport. Kursaal Palace.
- From September 6th until 13th. The biggest rowing event of the year in the North of Spain (dating back to 1879), the flag of La Concha will be hold by the winner of this event.
- On September 13th. Marathon Plazaola Greenways. In Lekunberri – Andoain.
- September 19th. Provisional date. Half Marathon (open). Each year more than 1,000 runners participate. In Azkoitia and Azpeitia.
In our excursions you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities that are available during your stay in San Sebastian or surrounding cities, towns, coast, places,… in all Gipuzkoa province.
For any information about our personalized and exclusive city tour in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in this link you can contact us.