Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in August 2020.
We select for you the best cultural, traditional, festive, sports, professional and exhibition activities that occur in San Sebastian (Spain) or Gipuzkoa in August 2020.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best Basques traditions and festivities:
- Wednesdays at Damarri Plaza and Saturdays at the Port. Agricultural Fair. Sale of local products. In Hondarribia.
- Every Saturday. Agricultural Fair. Farm products fair. In Tolosa.
- Every Saturday. Agricultural Fair. Vegetable Fair. In Irun.
- From July 30th to August 2nd. St Ignatius Loyola Festival. Local music, food, drink and festivals. In Azpeitia, Arrasate/Mondragón, Eibar, Errenteria, Irun, San Sebastian, Zarautz.
- August 2nd. Agricultural Fair. Exhibition and sale of food products and exhibition of traditional crafts. In Hondarribia.
- August 6th. Festivals of San Salvador. Food Fair. Tasting of grilled tuna and txakoli. Eusko Label veal Pintxos. In Getaria.
- August 7th. Agricultural Fair. Euskal Jai Fair. Products of the hamlet. Food, artisans and workshops. In Zumaia.
- From August 8th to 15th. Crafts Fair.
- From August 10th until 17th. International Fireworks Competition. The Concha Bay. This is one of the biggest events during Big Week. Firework experts from around the world will compete each night to see who can offer the most spectacular show. Cancelled.
- From August, 11th to 18th. Semana Grande (Big week of San Sebastian). Popular party with famous fireworks in Concha beach and lots of visitors. Cancelled
- From August 14th until 18th. In San Sebastian, Deba, Gabiria, Zarautz,Aduna, Elgoivar, … Festivals in honor to Our Lady of the Assumption (August 15th) and San Roque (August 16th).
- August 15th. Crafts Fair. Exhibition, sale and elaboration of artisan products. In Deba.
- From August 28th to September 6th. Euskal Jaiak – Basque festivities. Old part of the city. The Day of the Cider will start the festival of Basque culture. Musical and sports activities and the best Basque gastronomy are its main claim.
- August 29th. Agricultural and Livestock Fair. Cattle contest. Cheese contest. Cider tasting and contest. Rural sport. Agricultural tool. In Elgoibar.
Arts, congress and exhibits in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa:
- From April to September. Ignacio Zuloaga cultural space. Studio of famous Basque pintos of recognized international prestige. Santiago House. Private visits all year. In Zumaia.
- From November 27th, 2019 to December 2020. Exhibition: “Elkano. The first travel around the world”. The expo claims that the first circumnavigation was possible thanks to Elcano’s initiative and his nautical knowledge. Basque Maritime Museum.
- From December 6th, 2019 until January 30th 2021. Eduardo Chillida: Seeking the light expo. From a trip that the sculptor made in 1963 through Greece, Italy and French Provence in which he discovers new concepts around light and architecture. Squeak Leku. In Hernani.
- From June 19th until October 5th. Exhibition “The longest trip”. Fifth centenary of the first round the world by Fernando de Magallanes and the Basque Juan Sebastián Elcano. Documents of the Archive of the Indies of Seville. San Telmo museum. Dates pending revision.
- From June 19th until October 25th. Margaret Watkins: Black Light. Exhibition with the work of a reference photographer from the 20th century. International Center for Contemporary Culture Tabakalera.
- From February 29th to January 10th, 2021. Fashion and Heritage: Cristóbal. It puts the focus on Cristóbal Balenciaga himself and the imprint he has left behind as a person through various objects that belonged to him and that have been collected in the Museum’s collections. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
- From July 1st to October 2nd. Balenciaga Collection by designer Azzedine Alaïa. Unpublished exhibition under the direction of the renowned Olivier Saillard, curator of fashion exhibitions and former director of the Palais Galliera, Paris Fashion Museum. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria. Dates under review by the organizers.
- From July 12th until August 26th. Kutxa Kultur Gauak 2020: concerts, dance, theater, meetings, disco parties, contemporary dance, workshops, fashion, instagram conferences, youtubers and many more things to enjoy the summer on an outdoor terrace. Roof of the Tabakalera.
- From July 24th until August 29th. Cultural program of the Chillida Leku museum for the summer. Different activities of dance, music or yoga and there will be workshops for children and night visits. In Hernani.
- August 7th. Rock band concert: Viva Sweden. Kursaal Auditorium.
- From August 8th until 29th. 81st Donostia Musical Fortnight. It is the longest standing classical music festival in Spain and one of the most time-honored in Europe. Kursaal Auditorium.
- August 22nd. Musical tour # AS2020 of the Galician singer-songwriter Andrés Suárez. One of the maximum exponents of the song of author in Spanish; widely respected by the public and specialized critics. Kursaal Auditorium.
- August 26th. Poetic tour «Life Ahead«. With the poet, guitarist and singer from Zaragoza Gabriel Sopeña, and the singer Loquillo. Kursaal Auditorium.
- August 28th. Coque Malla in his “Impossible Tour”. Piano, guitar and voice. Kursaal Auditorium.
- From August 28th until 30th. Introduction to Haute Couture tailoring techniques. Master class by Javier Martín. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
Basque sports in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in August 2020:
- Different dates from June to September. Horse races. Racecourse.
- August 3rd. The “Classic” Cyclist race. It is part of the UCI ProTour. It starts in the morning and returns to the city in the afternoon with a route of 225 km throughout the province. Cancelled.
- From August 25th. Swim around the island. The Concha Bay. Adults 3km swimming. Children, 600m La Concha Beach. Cancelled.
- Quarterfinals: August 21st and 22nd. Semifinals: August 25th and 26th. End: August 30th in San Sebastian. UEFA Women’s Champions League. San Mamés Stadium in Bilbao and at the Anoeta Stadium in San Sebastian.
In our excursions you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities that are available during your stay in San Sebastian or surrounding cities, towns, coast, places,… in all Gipuzkoa province.
For any information about our personalized and exclusive city tour in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in this link you can contact us.
Leave A Comment