Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda. Bilbao or nearby in May 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao or nearby in May 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best traditions and festivities events happening in Bilbao:
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- May 9th and 10th. Medieval market. Reference of the cultural offer of the Basque Country. In Balmaseda, Biscay.
- From May 16th to 24th. Medieval market. Combats on horses, archery competitions or the ride of the geese, among others. In Gernika-Lumo, Biscay.
- From May 22nd until 24th. Arrain Azoka. Fish market in one of the biggest ports of the North of Spain. A good opportunity to try also fishes and preparations not so common in the Basque Country. Lamera Park. In Bermeo, Biscay.
- May 24th. Txakoli Day. Gastronomic contest. In Amurrio, Biscay.
Arts and exhibits in Bilbao in May 2020:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From June 26th, 2019 until June 26th, 2020. J. S. Elkano. Behind the footprint. He delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487 / 88-1526), and allows him to follow his vital mark, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Maritime Museum.
- From February 14th until June 21st. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Guggenheim Museum.
- From February 28th until May 10th. Richard Artschwager. Exhibition co-organized by the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and MART – Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto.
- From February 29th to June 22nd. Fashion and Heritage: Cristóbal. It puts the focus on Cristóbal Balenciaga himself and the imprint he has left behind as a person through various objects that belonged to him and that have been collected in the Museum’s collections. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
- May 1st and 2nd. Géneve Ballet du Grant Theater: Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”. Music: Bilbao Orkestra Sinfonikoa. Euskalduna Palace.
- May 1st and 2nd. Kopernikus: a ritual opera of death. Canadian composer Claude Vivier’s opera. Euskalduna Palace.
- May 8th. Program: New World. Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Euskalduna Palace.
- From May 8th until 16th. FANT. International Fantastic Film Festival.
- May 14th and 15th. Program: Bach & Händel. Symphony Orchestra of Bilbao. Euskalduna Palace.
- May 16th and 17th. Technarte. Artists and technologists from all over the world share their vision of the fusion between art, science and technology. Euskalduna Palace.
- May 16th, 19th, 22nd and 25th. Opera: Anna Bolena. ABAO Bilbao Opera. Euskalduna Palace.
- May 18th. International Museum Day. Wide range of activities for several days. In Basque Country.
- May 23rd. Film Symphony Orchestra: FSO TOUR 19 | 20. The best movie music in concert!. Euskalduna Palace.
- May 31st. 130th anniversary of the Arriaga Theater. Joaquín Achúcarro conducts the Bilbao Orkestra Sinfonikoa. Concert with the overture of La Gioconda de Ponchielli and works by Beethoven, for the 250th anniversary of his birth.
Basque sport in Bilbao:
- May 24th. Menditrail. 21 km sports event around Bilbao, its green ring and its most emblematic peaks. There is also a mountain hike, a 9 km family run and a photo contest.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao and want a tour of the city or its surroundings fully adjusted to your time and needs, contact me.
Leave A Comment