Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda. Bilbao in March 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao, in March 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Best traditions and festivities events happening in Bilbao:
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- March 14th. Agricultural Fair. Sale and exhibition of farm products in La Ribera.
Arts and exhibits in Bilbao – March 2020:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From June 26th, 2019 until June 26th, 2020. J. S. Elkano. Behind the footprint. He delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487/88 -1526), and allows him to follow his vital mark, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Maritime Museum.
- From July 27th, 2019 until April 30th, 2020. Egypt in Bilbao. Replicas by hand of several of the most notorious monuments of Egypt, along with other sculptures, sarcophagi and objects of ancient Egypt. Deusto Expo Center.
- From November 20th, 2019 until February 23rd. Small-Format Sorolla. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From February 14th until June 21st. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Guggenheim Museum.
- From February 24th until March 8th. Zinegoak: XVII Bilbao’s International GayLesboTrans Film and Performing Arts Festival. Bilborock Hall, BilbaoArte and The Golem Cinemas.
- From February 28th until May 10th. Richard Artschwager. Exhibition co-organized by the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and MART – Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto.
- February 29th and March 1st. Michael’s Legacy. Jackson Dance Company. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 1st. The world of fantasy. Jackson Dance Company. A tribute to the best songs of our childhood. Children’s show. Champs Elysees Theater.
- March 1st. Municipal Music Band of Bilbao. Songs of the history of the Eurovision Festival. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 2nd. Municipal Music Band of Bilbao. Sounds of Freedom. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 2nd. Municipal Band of Txistularis de Bilbao: New compositions by Javier Martinez Campos. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 6th and 7th. Marie Chouinard Company: Radical Vitality. Little jewels of the dance of solos and duets. Arriaga Theater.
- From March 6th until 8th. Musika-Música: International Festival of Classical Music. The outstanding feature of this Festival is its themed nature, as every year the performances focus on a specific period, style or composer. This year 2020 the axis will be “Paris”. Euskalduna Palace.
- From March 6th to 8th. Gustoko. III Artisan and Quality Food Fair. The exhibitors will show and sell their products, in addition to being able to participate in different activities such as training and information days, tastings, showcooking and tastings taught by international professionals. Pavilion 2 of the Bilbao Exhibition Center (BEC).
- From March 6th until May 24th. Lygia Clark. Painting as an experimental field, 1948-1958. Figure of the Brazilian avant-garde, whose innovative work covers more than three decades of painting, sculpture, films, drawings, prints, participatory actions and therapeutic art. Guggenheim Museum.
- March 7th and 8th. Unpacking. XLV Fair of pieces with a minimum age of 40 years. Bilbao Exhibition Centre.
- From March 12th to April 6th. The Bodyguard Musical. Campos Theater.
- March 19th and 20th. Bilbao Symphony Orchestra: Zacharias and Schumann. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 21st. Loraldia Festival 2020. Concert “Lau”. Alos Quartet, Aukeran and Amaia Elizaran. Basque music and dances. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 21st. Break On Stage 2020: International Festival of Urban Cultures. Urban dance, music and urban sports: breakdance, scooter, bmx, urban dance, parkour, beat-box and Cyr Wheel. Bilbao Arena.
- March 21st. Basque Country Symphony Orchestra: Fantastique – Beethoven and Berlioz. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 26th and 27th. Bilbao Symphony Orchestra: Amancio Prada and the Spiritual Canticle. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 28th. Basque Country Symphony Orchestra. Sheherazade: Beethoven, Bartok and Rimsky-Korsakov. Euskalduna Palace.
Basque sports in Bilbao:
- One day between November 1st, 2019 until and March 31, 2020. In Getxo, near to Bilbao. XIV Punta Galea Challenge is one of 7 that form part of the prestigious Big Wave Tour, and the only one held in Europe.
- March 15th. Bilbao cicloturista. International bicycle tour of Bilbao with a distance of 115 kilometers. With 5 staggered departures every 15 minutes and is suitable for all cyclists. The exit is from the Bridge of Deusto and the arrival will be in the Gran Vía Bilbao.
- March 28th and 29th. In Getxo, near to Bilbao. International Women’s Sailing Cup J80.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao and want a tour of the city or its surroundings fully adjusted to your time and needs, contact me.