Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda. Bilbao or nearby in June 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao or nearby in June 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best traditions and festivities events happening in Bilbao:
- Every Friday. Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. In Mungia.
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- June 6th. Cherry Fair. Exhibition and sale of farmhouse and artisan products. In Barakaldo.
- June 6th. Txakolí Day of Urdaibai. Tasting and tasting of cheese and txakoli from Urdaibai with D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina. Horticultural fair. Exhibition and sale of Basque crafts. In Gernika-Lumo.
- June 7th. Txakolí Day. XIX Tasting and sale of Biscay Txakolí. Exhibition and sale of agricultural products. In Lezama.
- June 13th. Pilgrimage in Urkiola: day of San Antonio de Padua. Sanctuary of Urkiola. Performances of trikitilaris and bertsolaris. Agricultural posts, artisans and livestock. In Abadiño.
- June 14th. XVII Edition Bilbao Championship of Pastor Idiazabal Cheese.
- June 14th and 15th. BBK Music Legends Festival 2020. The Beach Boys and Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals. Gardens of the Ola BBK Center of Sondika (Bizkaia). Canceled until 2021. In Sondika.
- The big day is June 29th, although the celebrations run from June 20th to July 5th. Saint Peter parties. Famous processions of San Pedro, the Aurresku, the pipers, the big heads or the maritime kukaña. In Mundaka.
- June 23rd. St. John Pilgrimage’s. The arrival of the summer solstice is celebrated. The bonfires burn to drive away evil spirits and attract good luck. In Tolosa, Eibar, Arrasate, Hernani, Andoain, Laguardia, Amurrio, Salvatierra, Leioa, Getxo, Bermeo, Muskiz, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Vitoria-Gasteiz,….
- June 24th. St. John Pilgrimage’s. Pilgrimage on foot to the hermitage of San Juan de Gastelugatxe and wreath to the Virgin (submerged in the sea under the natural arches of the islet of Aketze). In Bermeo.
- June 27th. Shoe Azule (Blue Saturday). Most important party in the city. T-shirts, sports and music are the main ingredients. In Ondarroa.
- From June 29th to July 1st. Saint Peter parties. The dance of the Kaxarranka (a dantzari dances on a chest or kutxa carried by eight fishermen), the Kilin-Kala (consists in the risk of throwing the image of the Saint into the water, to ask for good fishing) and the aurresku (Basque typical dance) of women. In Lekeitio.
Arts and exhibits in Bilbao in June 2020:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From June 26th, 2019 until June 26th, 2020. J. S. Elkano. Behind the footprint. He delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487 / 88-1526), and allows him to follow his vital mark, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Bilbao Maritime Museum.
- From February 14th until June 21st. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. The closing date may be extended.
- From June 3rd until 6th. ACT Festival. XVII International Festival of emergent scene. Experiences of arts visas in short format of no more than 30 minutes with only 3 or 4 pieces, dance, circus, theater…. Moved to the first week of November 2020. In Bilbao and Barakaldo.
- From June 3rd until 16th. ARTESHOP IX Edition. The art in the shops. Bilbao City Council, University of the Basque Country and Bilbao Arte Foundation. Canceled until 2021.
- June 7th. Estropatada. Thousands of little ducks cruise the river to reach the Euskalduna Bridge. The event continues with a huge family festival on the esplanade of the Maritime Museum.
- From June 12th until January 11th, 2021. Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career.
- June 13th. BreakonStage. Urban manifestations associated with hip hop. Bilbao Arena.
- June 14th and 15th. Music Legends Festival. Ola BBK Center. Canceled until 2021. In Sondika.
- June 15th. Gua Zuria (White Night Festival). Activities for the Foundation of the city of Bilbao. Outdoor celebrations of music, performing arts, literature and striking light and sound shows.
- They will be held on June 15th, 20th, 24th and 28th. UEFA EURO 2020. San Mamés Stadium. Postponed.
- From June 17th. Bilbao Pride. Bilbao Pride is a socio-cultural festival that advocates for LGBTQ visibility and for diversity.
- June 19th. Diego El Cigala: Homage to Mexico. Flamenco music. Euskalduna Place. Auditorium.
- June 20th. Jamming on Tour. 15 years of success in Madrid, more than 3,000 shows, all different but just as fun. Dome Room. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- June 26th and 27th. Leku Leku Festival. The International Festival of Dance in Urban Landscapes. Walk of Abandoibarra of Bilbao.
- June 26th and 27th. Surf Film Festival. In Zierbena.
- June 27th. Comandante Lara y co: At all costs. Humorous show. Dome Room. Campos Eliseos Theater.
Basque sport in Bilbao in June 2020:
- June 7th. BIBE Trans Bizkaia Great fund. A cyclist tour whose route recalls the Jesus Loroño Cyclo-tourist Classic, a test that was played between 1992 and 2003, consolidating itself as one of the most demanding in the state.
- From June 13th until 14th. Iberdrola Bilbao World Sup Challenge. International Stand Up Paddle competition. The best riders in the world will compete in two modalities: Long Distance and Sprint.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao and want a tour of the city or its surroundings fully adjusted to your time and needs, contact me.