Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda. Bilbao in April 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao in April 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Best traditions and festivities events happening in Bilbao:
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- April 3rd until 13th. IX Spring Handicraft Fair. Exhibition and sale of crafts and agrofood.
- From April 5th until 13th. Easter. Traditional parades which take out of the churches images and march in an old traditional penitent dressing.
- From April 8th until 12th. Basque Fest. Exhibitions of art, dance and street theater, children’s entertainment, craft fairs, concerts, samples of Basque design and traditional sports exhibitions.
- From April 9th until 11th. Basque Fest Gourmet. Exhibition space of tourist regions of Basque Country with information about its destinations and its enogastronomic attractions, free express tastings, workshops and activities.
- April 19th. Agricultural Fair of Santutxu. Sale and exhibition of farm products.
Arts and exhibits in Bilbao in April 2020:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From June 26th, 2019 until June 26th, 2020. J. S. Elkano. Behind the footprint. He delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487 / 88-1526), and allows him to follow his vital mark, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Maritime Museum.
- From July 27th, 2019 until April 30th, 2020. Egypt. Replicas by hand of several of the most notorious monuments of Egypt, along with other sculptures, sarcophagi and objects of ancient Egypt. Deusto Expo Center.
- From February 14th until June 21st. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum.
- From February 28th until May 10th. Richard Artschwager. Exhibition co-organized by the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum and MART – Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto.
- From March 31st until April 4th. Gutun Zuria Festival 2020. International Festival of Letters of Bilbao, a meeting point for international, national and local writers and writers with the public, thanks to a format of talks that is close and open to conversation. Azkuna Center.
- April 1st. Noa: “Letters to Bach”. Internationally recognized singer. Arriaga Theater.
- April 3rd and 4th. Akram Khan Company: “Outwitting the Devil”. Dance. Arriaga Theater.
- April 5th. James Rhodes Concerts. Arriaga Theater.
- April 8th. Concerts “Jesu, meine Freude”. Choral Society of Bilbao and the Diatessaron Ensemble. Choir and motets selection by Juan Sebastian Bach. Arriaga Theater.
- April 15th. “Winterreise” staged concert (winter trip). Cycle of 24 Lieder by Franz Schubert (1797-1828) on poems by Wilhelm Müller (1794-1827). Arriaga Theater.
- April 16th and 17th. Bilbao Symphony Orchestra: The 6th of Dvorák by Shiyeon Sung. Euskalduna Palace.
- April 18th and 19th. “Container” Magician Yunke. Up to fifteen spectacular original numbers of the wizard Yunke. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- April 19th. National championship of modern and urban dance of the Basque Country. Bilbao Exhibition Center.
- April 23rd. Euskalduna Flamenco: Faro. Dance and sing flamenco. Euskalduna Palace.
- From April 23rd to 26th. X Used Vehicles Fair. Bilbao Exhibition Center.
- April 24th to 26th. Expovacaciones (fair). Raffles, exhibitions, tastings and activities related to the promotion of the tourism sector will be held. Bilbao Exhibition Center.
- April 25th. The Rossini concert: Giovanna D’Arco & Stabat Mater. ABAO Bilbao Opera. Euskalduna Palace.
- April 26th. Ainhoa Arteta: The other shore. The internationally recognized Basque opera singer. Latin American music songs. Euskalduna Palace.
- April 29th. The Golden rule. Basque Country Symphony Orchestra. Bartok and Brahms. Euskalduna Palace.
Basque sports in Bilbao:
- April 4th. 40th Engineers-Deusto Regatta. Each year this Olympic rowing competition pits the Engineer School and University of Deusto crews against each other, two prestigious university centres with over a century of history in teaching and sports. Bilbao River.
- April 5th. Downhill International Cup. Extreme downhill cycling competition for the UCI World Championship and the Spanish Open.
- From April 6th to 12th. Cycling Tour of the Basque Country. The contest in northern Spain is a feast for climbers and punchers, as the Basque Country is teeming with sharp hills and mountains.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao and want a tour of the city or its surroundings fully adjusted to your time and needs, contact me.