Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda in Bilbao and Biscay in September 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao and Biscay in September 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best Basques traditions and festivities in Bilbao and Biscay:
- Every Friday. Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. In Mungia.
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Biscay, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- From September 1st until 9th. Basque parties. Popular food, music in the streets, trikitixa contest, dance performances or recitals of improvisers. In Zarautz.
- September 5th. Day of the rabbit and the cider of Biscay. Horticultural fair. In Gernika-Lumo
- September 5th. “Antzar Eguna” or Goose day, a 300 years old tradition to be seen in the local festivities of St Antoline (from September 1st until 8th.). In Lekeitio. Cancelled.
- September 6th. Agricultural fair and livestock. Handicrafts. Contest of vegetables, cheeses and txakolí. In Elorrio.
- September 6th. Agricultural Fair. Exhibition and sale of agricultural products. Competition and distribution of prizes for the best Basque cake, cheese and stall decoration. Walk of the Canilla. In Portugalete.
- September 9th. Arrantzale Eguna (Fisherman’s Day). In Bermeo.
- September 16th. Holy Eufemia Day. Tasting of talo, sale of farm products. VIII Poultry Exhibition. V Bizkaia Poultry Championship. Exhibition of Bermeo cattle, yokes and agricultural machinery. In Bermeo.
- September 20th. Agricultural and livestock fair. XXXVIII Exhibition and sale of farm products. Exhibition of local cattle. Sample of agricultural machinery. Grand Prix of Txakoli. Regional competition of equine cattle and horse riding. In Muskiz.
- September 20th. Fair of cattle, wool, horses and goats. Residents and visitors who come to Zarautz take to the streets dressed in traditional Basque costumes,
- September 26th. Agricultural fair. Exhibition of traditional Basque sports. Ferial of Zorrotza. Festivities of Zorrotza.
Regarding arts, congress and exhibits in Bilbao and Biscay:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From February 14th until April 4th, 2021. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum.
- From February 29th until August 23th. Richard Artschwager exhibition. Art halfway between painting and sculpture, developing a unique language. Bilbao Guggenheim museum.
- From March 6th until October 25th. Exhibition Lygia Clark: Painting as an experimental field, 1948−1958. Pioneer of abstraction, the Brazilian Lygia Clark was a fundamental artist of the second half of the 20th century. Bilbao Guggenheim museum.
- From June 1st until September 20th. Steve Paxton: Drafting Interior Techniques. It consists of eight ‘studies’ on an interior technique ’applied to the body in motion that improvises. It revolves around a question that Paxton constantly posed to himself in his study: What does my body do when I am not aware of it? Bilbao Azkuna Center.
- Until December 2020. Exhibition: “J. S. Elkano. After the Footprint”. It delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487/88 -1526), and allows the visitor to follow his life imprint, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Bilbao Basque Maritime Museum.
- From August 20th until September 13th. Navajas Cross. Great musical show. Arriaga Theater.
- From September 3th until 27th. Gextophoto. Festival of photography that bets on the use of formats, supports and unconventional spaces to show the images. In Getxo.
- From September 10th until 20th. BLV ART. Exhibition and creative spaces in the neighborhood, concerts, performances, theater and contemporary dance performances, installations, video-clip and short film projections… Bilbao La Vieja and San Francisco neighborhoods.
- From September 16th until 27th. The function that goes wrong. Comedy mix between Monty Python and Sherlock Holmes. Arriaga Theater.
- From September 17th to 20th. Sopela Kosta Fest. Festival meeting between surfing, nature and music. In Sopelana. Cancelled.
- From September 22nd until 27th. Bilboko Kalealdia: Festival of theater and street arts. Street shows, contemporary dance, circus and marionettes Gran Vía and Casco Viejo.
- September 24th. Newly created Basque music. Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Campos Elíseos Theater.
- September 26th. Break On Stage 2020: International Festival of Urban Cultures. The best International Breakdance. Urban dance, music and urban sports performances: breakdance, scooter, bmx, urban dance, parkour, beat-box and Cyr Wheel. Bilbao Arena.
- From next October 2nd until 11th. XI Humor Festival. Ja! Bilbao is a festival that highlights the importance of humors in the arts, particularly in literature. Sala BBK, Alhóndiga Bilbao, Mercado de la Ribera, Campos Elíseos Theatre.
- From next October 24th and 25th. Open House Bilbao. Festival of open doors of Bilbao in more than 45 buildings to better understand the city through its architecture and urbanism. Free guided tours.
- From next November 20th until May 30th, 2021. Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career.
Basque sports in Bilbao and Biscay in september 2020:
- In Bilbao. LF Endesa Women’s Basketball Super Cup. Bilbao Arena.
- In Bilbao. Red Bull Cliff Diving World Series. Female and male categories.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao or its surroundings and want a city tour personalized and exclusive, contact me.
Leave A Comment