Agenda of traditions, arts, music, sports, events and exhibitions, in Bilbao and Biscay province in May 2021.
We have selected those leisure activities that take place in Bilbao and the province of Biscay in May 2021, which a traveler, tourist, commercial visitor or foreigner can fully enjoy. No plays are suggested, nor are cultural, sporting or social events aimed at the local public, or that generate any difficulty of understanding and the complete enjoyment of foreigners.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Traditions and festivities in Bilbao & Biscay:
- Agricultural Fair. Farm products fair. Every Wednesday. In Ordizia.
- Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. Every Friday. In Mungia.
- Market of products of the hamlets of Biscay, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal. Every Saturday. In Bilbao.
- Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal. Every Sunday. In Bilbao.
- Festivities Otxomaio. It recalls the appearance of the Virgin of La Antigua, patron of the city. From May 3rd to 12th. Cancelled. In Orduña, Biscay.
- Antxoa Egune (Anchovy Day). A full day dedicated its most iconic fish. The central day of the party is Saturday May 15th, but during the week various events are also organized. In Ondarroa, Biscay
- Arrain Azoka. Fish market in one of the biggest ports of the North of Spain. A good opportunity to try also fishes and preparations not so common in the Basque Country. Lamera Park. From May 21st until 23th. In Bermeo, Biscay.
Arts and exhibits in Bilbao and Biscay :
- ABC: The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. Exhibition for its 110 years of inauguration. Museum of Fine Arts. From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2021. In Bilbao.
- Bilbao and the Painting. A perspective of painting in Bilbao on the 19th Century when Bilbao was one of the most important cities in Spain through a set of artist which incorporated French Impressionism and other avant-garde art currents. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From January 1st until August 28th. In Bilbao.
- Exhibition of movable industrial material considered Cultural Heritage. 2,000 pieces: old motorcycles, fire trucks, linotypes and printing material, remains of the mining industry and its auxiliary sector, anchors, a port crane, motors, hydraulic presses, models…. Konsoni Factory – Konsoni Lantegia. From March 5th until January 7th, 2022. In Bilbao.
- Frozen, the tribute. The origin of ice. An adventure for the whole family with all the songs from the two films. Campos Elíseos Theater. April 11th and June 5th. In Bilbao.
- Mendiburu. Matter and memory. More than a hundred pieces including sculptures and works on paper. Museum of Fine Arts. Room 32. From April 14th until September 5th. In Bilbao.
- Solitaire. Story of a writer who tells us about her experiences riding between fiction and reality. Campos Elíseos Theater. April 30th and May 1st. In Bilbao.
- The ham dilemma. A comedy about lactose intolerance… and others. On fatherhood, loneliness and intolerance with Gurutze Beitia and Txemi Parra. Euskalduna Palace – Sala 0B. From April 30th until May 9th. In Bilbao.
- Womanology. José Ramón Prieto Collection. Contemporary art made up exclusively of female artists, most of them belonging to the same generation. Museum of Fine Arts. From April 30th until September 5th. In Bilbao.
- “Uniko”. Puppet show and theater for all audiences from 6 years + Colloquium. BBK Sala. May 2nd. In Bilbao.
- Flamenco show “Poseidón”. Euskalduna Palace. May 2nd. In Bilbao.
- Los Panchos in concert. Boleros. Campos Elíseos Theater. May 2nd. In Bilbao.
- Austrian soloist Birgit Kolar will address Bartok’s Violin Concerto No. 1. Euskadiko Orkestra – Basque Country Symphony Orchestra. Euskalduna Palace. May 5th. In Bilbao.
- “The constant prince” by Calderón de la Barca. Lluís Homar in the role of the infant Don Fernando. National Classical Theater Company. Arriaga Theater. May 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th. In Bilbao.
- FANT. International Fantastic Film Festival. From May 7th until 16th. In Bilbao.
- Los locos años 20. Exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in which the artistic director of the Arriaga Theater, Calixto Bieito, participates as a designer. And in the theater you can see a program for two months that will evoke that time of effervescence and creative freedom. From May 7th to September 19th. In Bilbao.
- “Willis Drummond”. BBK Gertutik cycle. Electroacoustic concert. BBK room. May 8th. In Bilbao.
- Bataklan kabaret. Asier Bilbao, Yogurinha and Fellini. Reinventing the most shameless Bilbao. Campos Elíseos Theater. May 8th and 9th. In Bilbao.
- What a pack of Basques. Monologue by Nerea Garmendia and Victor Amilibia. Campos Elíseos Theater. May 15th. In Bilbao.
- Cycle «BJC Arriagan»: Jorge Pardo Trío. Jazz and Flamenco without limits. Concert in collaboration between Teatro Arriaga – Bilbaína Jazz Club. May 18th. In Bilbao.
- International Museum Day. Wide range of activities for several days. May 18th. In Basque Country.
- Surf Film Festival. Largest multidisciplinary festival developed around surfing: cinema, photography, sports, lectures, training, commerce and live music. Inauguration on May 19th at the Euskalduna Palace. Rest of days at the Itsasmuseum. From May 19th until 23rd. In Bilbao.
- Joaquín Reyes: Celebrate the joke. Fine irony —and also fat—, “crazy” ideas and nihilistic tunes. Campos Elíseos Theater. From May 21st until 23rd. In Bilbao.
- “The Tree: Fragments of a Poetics of Fire”. 9 dancers offer a powerful and vital expression of the love of nature on the brink of collapse. Carolyn Carlson Company. Arriaga Theater. May 22nd. In Bilbao.
- Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career. Today, the Guggenheim holds more than 150 pieces by Vasily Kandinsky. Until May 23th. In Bilbao.
- Agustín Ibarrola exhibition, Naturalki. Tribute to his 90th birthday. The exhibition focuses on the fundamental relationship established between art and nature in the author’s work. Rekalde Room. Until July 4th. In Bilbao.
- Muntadas. The empty city. An audiovisual piece commissioned by the museum, in which the Catalan artist invites us to look at the city from a different point of view. Showing Bilbao, its current urban planning and its historical context, are the starting point for a broader investigation of public space and architecture. Until September 5th. In Bilbao.
- Zura eta Ura. Photo exhibition that invites to think about the loss of identity in the fishermen ports after the progressive substitution of wooden boats by boats made of synthetic materials. Maritime Museum. Until September 26th. In Bilbao.
Basque sports in Bilbao & Biscay in May 2021:
- Menditrail. 21 km sports event around Bilbao, its green ring and its most emblematic peaks. There is also a mountain hike, a 9 km family run and a photo contest. May 2nd. In Bilbao.
- Harlem Globetrotters. Tour 2021: No Limits World Tour. La Casilla Pavilion. May 10th. In Bilbao.
- Itzulia Women. Cycling race in the UCI Women’s World Tour category. From May 14th to 16th. In Basque Country.
In our personalized tours you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities available during your stay in Bilbao, Biscay in May 2021.
Contact us for any information about our private tours in Bilbao and Biscay province clicking here.