Agenda of traditions, arts, music, sports, events and exhibitions, in Bilbao and Biscay province in March 2021.
We have selected those leisure activities that take place in Bilbao and the province of Biscay in March 2021, which a traveler, tourist, commercial visitor or foreigner can fully enjoy. No plays are suggested, nor are cultural, sporting or social events aimed at the local public, or that generate any difficulty of understanding and the complete enjoyment of foreigners.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Regarding traditions and festivities in Bilbao & Biscay:
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plants market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Friday. Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. In Mungia.
- March 7th. XLVIII Pork sausage and black pudding contest. Exhibition and sale of other agricultural, livestock and handicraft products. In Sopuerta
- March 14th. Agricultural Fair. Sale and exhibition of farm products in La Ribera Street.
- March 19th. St. Joseph Festival. The wineries of Bakio present the txakoli elaborated with the harvest obtained the previous year. In Bakio.
- March 22nd. Poultry and gastronomic fair. XXVI Monographic of villain dogs of the encartaciones. Tasting of txakoli Bizkaiko Txakolina. Exhibition and sale of cheese, bread, honey, handicrafts and agricultural products. In Gueñes.
- March 28th. Durango Ardo Saltsan: Wine and Delicatessen Fair. Eno-gastronomic fair with dozens of wineries from different countries. Posts with delicatessen products, defined by their high quality with Iberian ham, oil, salmon and smoked bonito, Iberian tomato, cheese, anchovies, and coffee. In Durango.
- From March 28th until April 1st. Basque Fest. Exhibitions of art, dance and street theater, children’s entertainment, craft fairs, concerts, samples of Basque design and traditional sports exhibitions. Cancelled.
Easter is celebrated all over the Basque Country from March 30th until April 4th.this year, and these are the best places to see something different in your visit:
- Balmaseda Easter. These is the most famous living performance made by locals in the Basque Country. Each of the days of Easter people from this town represent the last days of Jesus Christ life in a sort of a theater play which have been played every year from the 1600s. In Balmaseda.
- Traditional parades or “procesiones”. Bilbao and other smaller towns in Bizkaia have traditional parades which take out of the churches images and march in an old traditional penitent dressing (dressing that some foreigners wrongly confused by some foreigners with Ku Klux Clan costumes).
Regarding arts and exhibits in Bilbao and Biscay in March 2021:
- Until April 11th, 2021. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Guggenheim Museum.
- Until May 23th. Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career. Today, the Guggenheim holds more than 150 pieces by Vasily Kandinsky.
- Until May 10th. Richard Artschwager. Exhibition co-organized by the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and MART – Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto.
- Until August 28th. Bilbao and the Painting. A perspective of painting in Bilbao on the 19th Century when Bilbao was one of the most important cities in Spain through a set of artist which incorporated French Impressionism and other avant-garde art currents. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum.
- Until July 4th. Agustín Ibarrola exhibition, Naturalki. Tribute to his 90th birthday. The exhibition focuses on the fundamental relationship established between art and nature in the author’s work. Rekalde Room.
- Until April 5th. Exhibition: “Otl Aicher. Metro Bilbao. Architecture and landscape”. First major international retrospective dedicated to the German graphic designer Otl Aicher, with more than two hundred works and objects from the Archive of the Ulm School of Design in Germany. 80 unpublished drawings of his project for Metro Bilbao stand out. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- Until March 7th Eduardo Arroyo engravings. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- Until September 5th. Muntadas. The empty city. Ciudad vacía. An audiovisual piece commissioned by the museum, in which the Catalan artist invites us to look at the city from a different point of view. Showing Bilbao, its current urban planning and its historical context, are the starting point for a broader investigation of public space and architecture. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- Until April 21st. J. S. Elkano. Behind the footprint. He delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487 / 88-1526), and allows him to follow his vital mark, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Maritime Museum.
- Until September 26th. Zura eta Ura. Photo exhibition that invites to think about the loss of identity in the fishermen ports after the progressive substitution of wooden boats by boats made of synthetic materials. Maritime Museum.
- From March 1st until March 14th. Zinegoak: XVII Bilbao’s International GayLesboTrans Film and Performing Arts Festival. Bilborock Hall, BilbaoArte and The Golem Cinemas.
- Until April 11th. Merdedes de Miguel the art of dressing. The most representative pieces of each of the Mercedes de Miguel collections, which are presented in a surprising combination with the avant-garde building that houses the exhibition, with cascades of dresses that fall from the upper floor to the hall. Basque Design Center. In Guenes.
- March 1st. L’Elisir d’Amore. Gaetano Donizetti. Opera. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 2nd and 3rd. Atzerrian lurra garratz. Play about identity, family and dreams. Teatro Arriaga.
- March 3rd. India Martinez. Concert. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 5th. En Tol Sarmiento. Basque band concert mixing pop, rock, ska, reggae, rumba and rock-folk music. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- From March 5th to March 7th. Musika-Música: International Festival of Classical Music. The outstanding feature of this Festival is its themed nature, as every year the performances focus on a specific period, style or composer. This year 2021 the axis will be “Vienna”. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 6th. Chica Sobresalto. Concert. Sala BBK.
- March 7th. Jamming On Tour: el show. Show with 3 actors. You will be surprised! Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 10th. Haizea Martiartu. Mixing Folk and Jazz music. Enjoy well known Basque traditional songs with a Jazz touch. Teatro Arriaga Theater.
- March 11th. Loreak eta zauriak. Music by the composer Lete applied to nowadays way of life. Teatro Arriaga Theater.
- March 12th. Zetak. Electronic music concert in Basque language. Teatro Arriaga Theater.
- March 12th and 14th. Divina Cleopatra. A music and theater travel where we will discover the world of Cleopatra. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 13th. Nil Moliner. Pop music singer. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 13th. Gatibu. Concert. Sala BBK.
- March 13th. “Jotas de siempre”. Navarre traditional music by the group “La Ribera”. Otxarkoaga.
- March 13th. Elirale Konpainia “O!”. Dance. Azkuna Zentroa Alhondiga.
- March 14th. Kai Nakai + Mad Muasel. Urban Music Concert. Sala BBK.
- March 15th. Bilboko Udal Txistulari Banda. Kantaldia. Basque traditional music. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 17th Euskadiko Orchestra: Prokofiev Travels by Schumann. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 17th. Errimak bi oinetan. Dantza Berriak Bertsoei Jarriak Bertsolaris and dance. Azkuna Zentroa Alhondiga.
- March 18th. Bizimina – Kukai. Basque Contemporary dancers. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 18th and 19th. Mendelssohn & Fumiaki Miura concert. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 19th. Txak txak. Concert mixing a traditional intrument “txalaparta” with claque. Sala BBK.
- March 19th. Melenas + Arima. Concert. Sala BBK.
- March 20th. Gorordodromoa. Roll game in Basque language. Azkuna Zentroa Alhondiga.
- March 20th and 21st. El viaje de Ludi. Travel for children though Beethoven music. Teatro Arriaga Theater.
- March 21st. Queenmania. A tribute to the British group “Queen”. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 23rd and 24th. Basque Festival of Ancient Greek and Latin Theater. Campos Eliseos Theater.
- March 24th. Flamenco dance. Las Minas del Flamenco Tour. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 24th. Bilbao City Txistulari Band. Traditional concert. Basque Museum.
- March 25th and 26th. 100 years of Piazzolla. Euskalduna Palace.
- March 29th. Meeting tango. Travelling with music of Ravel, Stravinsky, Satie, Gardel and Piazzolla. Euskalduna Palace.
Regarding Congresses, sports & exhibitions in Bilbao & Biscay in March 2021:
- March 13th and 14th. Desembalaje Bilbao. Exhibition of antiquities and auctions. Bilbao Exhibition Center. In Barakaldo.
- In Getxo. XIV Punta Galea Challenge is one of 7 that form part of the prestigious Big Wave Tour, and the only one held in Europe. In Getxo. Cancelled.
In our personalized tours you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities available during your stay in Bilbao, Biscay in March 2021.
Contact us for any information about our private tours in Bilbao and Biscay province clicking here.