Agenda of traditions, arts, music, sports, events and exhibitions, in Bilbao and Biscay province in June 2021.
We have selected those leisure activities that take place in Bilbao and the province of Biscay in June 2021, which a traveler, tourist, commercial visitor or foreigner can fully enjoy. No plays are suggested, nor are cultural, sporting or social events aimed at the local public, or that generate any difficulty of understanding and the complete enjoyment of foreigners.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best Basques traditions and festivities in Bilbao and Biscay:
- Agricultural Fair. Farm products fair. Every Wednesday. In Ordizia.
- Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. Every Friday. In Mungia.
- Market of products of the hamlets of Biscay, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal. Every Saturday. In Bilbao.
- Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal. Every Sunday. In Bilbao.
- Pilgrimage in Urkiola: day of San Antonio de Padua. Sanctuary of Urkiola. Performances of trikitilaris and bertsolaris. Agricultural posts, artisans and livestock. June 13th. In Abadiño.
- Saint Pedro parties. Famous processions of San Pedro, the Aurresku, the pipers, the big heads or the maritime kukaña. The big day is June 29th, although the celebrations run from June 20th to July 5th. In Mundaka.
- St. John Pilgrimage’s. The arrival of the summer solstice is celebrated. The bonfires burn to drive away evil spirits and attract good luck. June 23rd. In Tolosa, Eibar, Arrasate, Hernani, Andoain, Laguardia, Amurrio, Salvatierra, Leioa, Getxo, Bermeo, Muskiz, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Vitoria-Gasteiz,….
- St. John Pilgrimage’s. Pilgrimage on foot to the hermitage of San Juan de Gastelugatxe and wreath to the Virgin (submerged in the sea under the natural arches of the islet of Aketze). June 24th. In Bermeo.
- Shoe Azule (Blue Saturday). Most important party in the city. T-shirts, sports and music are the main ingredients. June 26th. In Ondarroa.
- Battle of wine. Fiesta of National Tourist Interest. Pilgrimage to the hermitage of Los Riscos de Bilibio. June 29th. In Haro, La Rioja, near Bilbao.
- Saint Pedro parties. The dance of the Kaxarranka (a dantzari dances on a chest or kutxa carried by eight fishermen), the Kilin-Kala (consists in the risk of throwing the image of the Saint into the water, to ask for good fishing) and the aurresku (basque tipical dance) of women. From June 29th to July 1st. In Lekeitio.
Regarding arts, congress and exhibits in Bilbao and Biscay in June 2021:
- ABC: The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. Exhibition for its 110 years of inauguration. Museum of Fine Arts. From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2021. In Bilbao.
- Bilbao and the Painting. A perspective of painting in Bilbao on the 19th Century when Bilbao was one of the most important cities in Spain through a set of artist which incorporated French Impressionism and other avant-garde art currents. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From January 1st until August 28th. In Bilbao.
- Exhibition of movable industrial material considered Cultural Heritage. 2,000 pieces: old motorcycles, fire trucks, linotypes and printing material, remains of the mining industry and its auxiliary sector, anchors, a port crane, motors, hydraulic presses, models…. Konsoni Factory – Konsoni Lantegia. From March 5th until January 7th, 2022. In Bilbao.
- Frozen, the tribute. The origin of ice. An adventure for the whole family with all the songs from the two films. Campos Elíseos Theater. April 11th and June 5th. In Bilbao.
- Mendiburu. Matter and memory. More than a hundred pieces including sculptures and works on paper. Museum of Fine Arts. Room 32. From April 14th until September 5th. In Bilbao.
- Solitaire. Story of a writer who tells us about her experiences riding between fiction and reality. Campos Elíseos Theater. April 30th and May 1st. In Bilbao.
- The ham dilemma. A comedy about lactose intolerance… and others. On fatherhood, loneliness and intolerance with Gurutze Beitia and Txemi Parra. Euskalduna Palace – Sala 0B. From April 30th until May 9th. In Bilbao.
- Womanology. José Ramón Prieto Collection. Contemporary art made up exclusively of female artists, most of them belonging to the same generation. Museum of Fine Arts. From April 30th until September 5th. In Bilbao.
- Los locos años 20. The roaring 20s. Exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in which the artistic director of the Arriaga Theater, Calixto Bieito, participates as a designer. And in the theater you can see a program for two months that will evoke that time of effervescence and creative freedom. From May 7th to September 19th. In Bilbao.
- Exhibition “All concerts, every night, all empty” by the artist Ana Laura Aláez. Azkuna Center. From May 20th to September 26th. In Bilbao.
- A walk through the history of musical theater, from 1866 to today. Live music, humor, theater and dance. Campos Eliseos Theater. June 4th. In Bilbao.
- The seven capital sins. Satitic “sung ballet” in 7 scenes. Music by Kurt Weill and libretto by Bertolt Brecht. Arriaga Theater. June 4th and 5th. In Bilbao.
- Derby Motoreta’s Burrito Kachimba. Bizkaia Arena BEC !. June 5th. In Bilbao.
- Le Petit Garage. Ara Malikian Concert. Euskalduna Palace. June 6th. In Bilbao.
- Rabba Rabba Girl Jam Band. Group of women members of Biscayan bands from all eras who will review historical themes of the closest rock. BBK Sala. June 6th. In Bilbao.
- Erwartung (The Wait). Schönberg’s magnificent and enigmatic opera performed by the powerful voice of soprano Ausrine Stundyte. Arriaga Theater. June 10th. In Bilbao.
- Flamenco: The mines. Euskalduna Palace. June 10th. In Bilbao.
- Maren. Versatile artist. BBK Sala. June 11th. In Bilbao.
- The line of wit. Selection of works from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao’s Own Collection whose common features are humor, wit and experimentation. From June 11th until February 6th. In Bilbao.
- Van Gogh’s Ear: A Whisper in the Storm. Euskalduna Palace. June 12th. In Bilbao.
- Kakerlake / Kafka. A scenic creation by Richard Sahagún, one of the main creators of the contemporary Basque scene. Interpreters: Nuria Valiente, Toti Martínez de Lezea, Nerea Sanz. Arriaga Theater. June 12th. In Bilbao.
- Hospital stories. Dying you can save your life. Comedy about how with our character, we show our illness. Campos Eliseos Theater. June 12th. In Bilbao.
- Alice: The Musical. Euskalduna Palace. June 12th. In Bilbao.
- Food 4 Future 2021. Food 4 Future World Summit. Bizkaia Arena BEC !. From June 15th until 17th. In Bilbao.
- Sofía Ellar, singer-songwriter and composer. BBK Sala. June 18th. In Bilbao.
- “The Nibelungs – Siegfried’s Death”. Masterpiece of Fritz Lang on the big screen and live performance of the film’s music by the Bilbao Symphony Orchestra. Arriaga Theater. June 19th. In Bilbao.
- “Arquitectos del Aire (Alhóndiga)” by MDV Danza, company of the choreographer Mikel del Valle. Reflection on the industrial heritage through a danced architectural journey. EszenAZ, The performing arts season. Azkuna Center. June 24th. In Bilbao.
- Leku Leku Festival. The International Festival of Dance in Urban Landscapes. Walk of Abandoibarra of Bilbao. June 23rd and 26th. In Bilbao.
- International Jazz Festival. Biotz Alai Square. From June 30th until July 7th. In Getxo.
- Agustín Ibarrola exhibition, Naturalki. Tribute to his 90th birthday. The exhibition focuses on the fundamental relationship established between art and nature in the author’s work. Rekalde Room. Until July 4th. In Bilbao.
- Muntadas. The empty city. An audiovisual piece commissioned by the museum, in which the Catalan artist invites us to look at the city from a different point of view. Showing Bilbao, its current urban planning and its historical context, are the starting point for a broader investigation of public space and architecture. Until September 5th. In Bilbao.
- Zura eta Ura. Photo exhibition that invites to think about the loss of identity in the fishermen ports after the progressive substitution of wooden boats by boats made of synthetic materials. Maritime Museum. Until September 26th. In Bilbao.
In our personalized tours you can also ask us and receive information about the best activities available during your stay in Bilbao, Biscay in June 2021.
Contact us for any information about our private tours in Bilbao and Biscay province clicking here.
Leave A Comment