Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda in Bilbao and Biscay in July 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao and Biscay in July 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best Basques traditions and festivities in Bilbao and Biscay:
- Every Friday. Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. In Mungia.
Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Biskay, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- From June 29th to July 1st. Saint Peter parties. The dance of the Kaxarranka (a dantzari dances on a chest or kutxa carried by eight fishermen), the Kilin-Kala (consists in the risk of throwing the image of the Saint into the water, to ask for good fishing) and the aurresku (basque tipical dance) of women. In Lekeitio.
- From June 20th until July 5th. Saint Peter parties. Big Day on June 29. In Mundaka.
- July 1st. Festival in honor of the Virgin of the Guide. Txistularis, fanfarrias, cabezudos, triki-trixas, dances, contests, parades, sokatira and other Basque festive activities. In Portugalete.
- July 4th. Tasting peppers of Guernica. Horticultural fair. Exhibition and sale of Basque crafts. In Guernica-Lumo.
- July 10th. Sardine day. Start of the week of the Fiestas del Carmen. In Santurtzi.
- July 14th. El Carmen Festivals. Party atmosphere and celebrations in: Amorebieta-Etxano, Baracaldo, Balmaseda, Bakio, Lemóniz, Neguri, Santurtzi and Mungia.
- July 22nd. St. Mary Magdalene Day. On this day, these three coastal villages celebrate an ancient dispute as to the ownership of Izaro Island. Clothing: typical fishermen’s blue canvas smocks and checked scarves. In Bermeo, Elantxobe and Mundaka.
- From July 30th to August 2nd. St. Ignatius Loyola Festival. Local music, food, drinks and parties. In Azpeitia, Baracaldo, Basauri, Bilbao, Getxo, Durango, Erandio, Galdakao, Leioa, Portugalete, Santurtzi, Sestao.
Regarding arts, congress and exhibits in Bilbao and Biscay:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From February 14th until June 21st. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Guggenheim Museum. Dates pending revision.
- From February 29th to June 22nd. Fashion and Heritage: Cristóbal. It puts the focus on Cristóbal Balenciaga himself and the imprint he has left behind as a person through various objects that belonged to him and that have been collected in the Museum’s collections. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
- From June 12th until January 10th, 2021. Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career. Dates pending revision.
- From June 29th until July 4th. Bilbako Kalealdia (International Festival of Theater and Street Arts.). Street shows, contemporary dance, circus and puppets.
- July 1st. Recital by Alicia Amo. Piano: Rubén Fernandez. Songs of Beethoven, for the 250th anniversary of his birth, Schubert and Mendelssohn; and interpreting beautiful Sephardic melodies. Arriaga Theater.
- From July 1st to October 2nd. Balenciaga Collection by designer Azzedine Alaïa. Unpublished exhibition under the direction of the renowned Olivier Saillard, curator of fashion exhibitions and former director of the Palais Galliera, Paris Fashion Museum. Part of the annual program for the 125th anniversary of his birth. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. In Getaria.
- July 2nd. Asier Polo (cellist): Visual poem for a cello. Suites by J. S. Bach. Arriaga Theater.
- July 7th. Lucía Lacarra and Matthew Golding: reunion in dance. Lucía is the most important Basque dance artist in the world today. Music by the Bilbao Sinfonietta. Arriaga Theater.
- July 8th. Vivaldi: poem for string and two voices. Baroque group Passamezzo Antico, and the young singers Jone Martínez and Maite Maruri. Arriaga Theater.
- From July 9th until 11th. BBK Live Festival. International music groups. Fields of Kobetamendi. Cancelled.
- July 11th. Txapel Reggae in Armintza, since 1990. Open, plural and free festival focused on the diversity of languages and cultures with local, state and international artists. In Lemoiz.
- July 14th. Cabaret and Cambalache time. Theater-cabaret. Actress and singer: Gurutze Beitia. Arriaga Theater.
- From July 25th until 28th. 28th Euskal Encounter. Massive gathering of amateurs and computer professionals. Bilbao Exhibition Center.
- From July 25th to 28th. Festival of the Bay of Biscay. The Basque Music and Cuisine Festival. It has three pillars: music, gastronomy and nature. In Bermeo. Cancelled
Basque sports in Bilbao and Biscay in July 2020:
- July 31st. New probable date: August 2nd. Getxo cycling circuit. Ricardo Otxoa Memorial. In Getxo.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao or its surroundings and want a city tour personalized and exclusive, contact me.