Agenda of traditions, arts, music, sports, events and exhibitions, in Bilbao and Biscay province in January 2021.
We have selected those leisure activities that take place in Bilbao and the province of Biscay in January 2021, which a traveler, tourist, commercial visitor or foreigner can fully enjoy. No plays are suggested, nor are cultural, sporting or social events aimed at the local public, or that generate any difficulty of understanding and the complete enjoyment of foreigners.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Arts, congresses and exhibitions in Bilbao and Biscay:
- Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Guggenheim Museum. From February 14th until April 11th, 2021.
- Exhibition: “J. S. Elkano. After the Footprint”. It delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487/88 -1526), and allows the visitor to follow his life imprint, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Basque Maritime Museum. From June 26th, 2020 until April 11th, 2021.
- Exposure “Lee Krasner: Living color”. Retrospective of the pioneer of North American abstract expressionism Lee Krasner (1908-1984). Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From September 18th, 2020 until January 10th, 2021.
- Celebrates! Online 2020. Photography and video brands, restaurants, hotels, travel agencies, DJs, jewelry stores, florists, wedding planners, rental properties and unique places, tents and catering, beauty and hairdressing centers, gifts and details, rental rentals vehicular. Bilbao Exhibition Center. From October 17th, 2020 until April 1st, 2021.
- Exhibition: Arzak in his sauce. A journey through the history of a restaurant always at the forefront. Euskal Museoa. From October 22th, 2020 to January 31rd, 2021.
- Agustín Ibarrola exhibition, naturalki. Tribute to his 90th birthday. The exhibition focuses on the fundamental relationship established between art and nature in the author’s work. Rekalde Room. From October 23rd, 2020 to April 7th, 2021.
- Exhibition: “Otl Aicher. Metro Bilbao. Architecture and landscape”. First major international retrospective dedicated to the German graphic designer Otl Aicher, with more than two hundred works and objects from the Archive of the Ulm School of Design in Germany. 80 unpublished drawings of his project for Metro Bilbao stand out. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From November 5th to February 28th.
- Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career. November 20th, 2020 until May 23th, 2021.
- Exhibition: Eduardo Arroyo engraver. His artistic interests spanned not only painting but also literature, sculpture, and printing. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From December 12th, 2020 to March 7th.
- Maluta – Christmas Circus. San Agustin Kultur Gunea and the Ganso & Cia company will transform the theater into a large circus tent. From December 26th, 2020 to January 3rd. In Durango.
- Be quiet, you are more beautiful! The feminist comedy show. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 2nd.
- Hitcshock. Scartaris Artistic Group. Play written and directed by Samuel Gibert. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 2nd and 9th.
- Queenmania. With Play the Game, the best Queen tribute band. Rock as a family. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 3rd.
- “Heroes and Heroines”: 250th anniversary of L.V. Beethoven (1770-1827). EGO (Young Orchestra of Euskal Herria). Euskalduna Palace. 250th anniversary of the birth of said composer. January 4th.
- Goyo Jiménez: Confusion. The funniest show that Goyo is capable of doing. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 5th and 6th.
- Municipal Band of Txistularis. January is dedicated to dance. Day 7: collaboration in the presentation of the album ARINEKETAN by Jagoba Astiazaran and Iñar Sastre. On the 27th he will present the show ESKU BURDINAK, dedicated to Basque mining, together with the Oinkari dance group. Euskalduna Palace. January 7th and 27th.
- Annie. The musical. One of the most successful Broadway musicals is here!. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 8th and 9th.
- The best mother in the world. Play based on the homonymous novel by Nuria Labari. Arriaga Theater. January 8th and 9th.
- Toundra Concert: soundtrack to “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari”. Arriaga Theater. January 10th.
- Theater: The Journey to Nowhere, by Fernando Fernán Gómez. He tells us about a way of exercising the profession of comedian, in a traveling company. Arriaga Theater. From January 14th until 24th.
- The unfortunate circus of Raúl Cimas. And the pirate’s orchestra. Comedian. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 15th and 16th.
- Strad, the rebellious violinist. He spins ‘Opposite Worlds’. The Spanish artist Jorge Guillén is considered one of the most virtuous violinists of the moment. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 17th.
- Flamenco: “Poseidón”. The Sevillian bailaor presents us with an allegory of the suffering of men exercised by other men and of the need for the intervention of a god, Poseidon. Euskalduna Palace. January 20th.
- The Mexican tenor Javier Camarena. One of the great lyrical voices of today. Arriaga Theater. January 21st.
- Comedian Valeria Ros: Mature. Healthy humor, exaggerated and with many strokes of improvisation and interaction with the public. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 24th.
- Theater: The food of the flies. Arriaga Theater. January 26th and 27th.
- Theater: Pedro Páramo. One of the fundamental works of the South American narrative of the 20th century. Arriaga Theater. January 29th and 30th.
- Luis Piedrahita: It is my word against mine. New monologue of the humorist. Campos Eliseos Theater. January 29th and 30th.
- Exhibition: Bilbao and painting. Selection of paintings made by artists who worked in Bilbao in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. From January 29th until August 29th.
- The exhibition “The Roaring Twenties” focuses on Berlin and Paris, but also includes looks at other avant-garde hotbeds, such as Vienna and Zurich. It is a cooperation between Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and Kunsthaus Zürich. From next May 7th, 2021 until September 19th, 2021.
Best traditions and festivals in Bilbao and Biscay in January 2021:
- Every Friday. Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. In Mungia.
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- From December 1st until January 7th. Traditional nativity scenes. 13 nativity scenes of different formats and styles. Pasos Museum.
- From December 1st until January 7th. Traditional nativity scenes. The Church of San Nicolás, the Cathedral of Santiago, the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, the Mercado de la Ribera, the Basque Museum and the Bilbao Maritime Museum show the public more than 50 nativity scenes composed of almost 800 handmade figures.
- XXII “International Exhibition of Nativity Scenes of the World”. Santxotena Museum Exhibition. This year at Deusto Expo Center you will see more than 1,300 nativity scenes brought from around the world. From December 4th, 2020 to January 31st.
- GABONART. XXXVI Christmas Craft Fair. Exhibition and sale of craft products. From December 11th until January 10th, 2020.
There are other leisure options that we can suggest during our excursions, more tailored to your interests and type of trip, whether as a family, partner, group of friends, or for business. Do not doubt to ask me!
If you want a totally personalized and private tours through Bilbao or the province of Biscay in January 2021, contact me at this link.