Agenda of traditions, arts, music, sports, events and exhibitions, in Bilbao and Biscay province in February 2021.
We have selected those leisure activities that take place in Bilbao and the province of Biscay in February 2021, which a traveler, tourist, commercial visitor or foreigner can fully enjoy. No plays are suggested, nor are cultural, sporting or social events aimed at the local public, or that generate any difficulty of understanding and the complete enjoyment of foreigners.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Arts, congresses and exhibitions in Bilbao and Biscay:
- Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Guggenheim Museum. From February 14th until April 11th, 2021.
- Exhibition: “J. S. Elkano. After the Footprint”. It delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487/88 -1526), and allows the visitor to follow his life imprint, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Basque Maritime Museum. From June 26th, 2020 until April 11th, 2021.
- Masterpieces from the Valdés collection. It shows 79 works, mainly paintings, but also sculptures, two baroque carvings and two classicist marble panels. Many of them are unpublished works, little known or that, until now, had never been exhibited to the public. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From October 7th, 2020 until February 28th, 2021.
- Celebrates! Online 2020. Photography and video brands, restaurants, hotels, travel agencies, DJs, jewelry stores, florists, wedding planners, rental properties and unique places, tents and catering, beauty and hairdressing centers, gifts and details, rental rentals vehicular. Bilbao Exhibition Center. From October 17th, 2020 until April 1st, 2021.
- Agustín Ibarrola exhibition, naturalki. Tribute to his 90th birthday. The exhibition focuses on the fundamental relationship established between art and nature in the author’s work. Rekalde Room. From October 23rd, 2020 to July 4th, 2021.
- Exhibition: “Otl Aicher. Metro Bilbao. Architecture and landscape”. First major international retrospective dedicated to the German graphic designer Otl Aicher, with more than two hundred works and objects from the Archive of the Ulm School of Design in Germany. 80 unpublished drawings of his project for Metro Bilbao stand out. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From November 5th,2020 to April 5th.
- Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career. Today, the Guggenheim holds more than 150 pieces by Vasily Kandinsky. November 20th, 2020 until May 23th, 2021.
- Exhibition: Eduardo Arroyo engraver. His artistic interests spanned not only painting but also literature, sculpture, and printing. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From December 12th, 2020 to March 7th.
- The art of dressing: Exhibition of Mercedes de Miguel. Basque Design Center. From December 20th, 2020 to April 11th. In Güeñes
- Candlelight. Classical music concerts at the Church of the Incarnation in Bilbao in an intimate setting under candlelight. From January 10th to February 20th.
- Municipal Band of Txistularis. Euskalduna Palace. January 27th, February 10th and 24th, and March 15th
- Theater: Antonia. Premiere. It is a journey between memories, between past and present, between reality and fiction. It is the search for his story and ours. Arriaga Theater. February 2nd and 3rd.
- Theater: The final judgment. Actor Juan Amodeo will help you realize that, even if you deny it, you are also a bad person. Campos Eliseos Theater. February 5th.
- Theater: A Night without the Moon by Juan Diego Botto. Lesser known aspects of the life and work of Federico García Lorca. Arriaga Theater. February 5th, 6th and 7th.
- LKBSFF 2021: Laboral Kutxa Bilbao Surf Film Festival. Second edition of the largest multidisciplinary festival developed around surfing: cinema, photography, sports, lectures, training, commerce and live music in the heart of Bilbao, with the Ría as a backdrop. Inauguration at the Euskalduna Jauregia Palace on Thursday, February 4th. The rest of the sessions will take place at the Itsasmuseum, ending on Sunday, February 7th.
- Theater: Love and Humor. Ylenia Baglietto and Lander Otaola present a scathing, ironic, funny and deeply moving show. Euskalduna Palace. February 6th, 7th, 12th, 13th and 14th.
- Concert: Christian Gerhaher. Accompanied by his regular pianist, the also German Gerold Huber, he performs complete cycles by two of his favorite authors, Schumann and Debussy. The German baritone is one of the best liederists of our time. Arriaga Theater. February 10th.
- Theater: The Mountain. Agrupación Señor Serrano. Arriaga Theater. February 12th.
- Theater: Darwin’s jump. Between comedy and tragedy. Arriaga Theater. February 13th and 14th.
- The comedian Santi Rodríguez in “Don’t go to the light” Campos Eliseos Theater. February 19th.
- Pablo Ibarburu’s time. The Basque comedian alone. Campos Eliseos Theater. February 25th and 26th.
- What a pack of Basques. Humor recipes for the pandemic, with Victor Amilibia and Nerea Garmendi. Campos Eliseos Theater. February 27th.
- Wild. Show of the comedian and magician Jandro. Campos Eliseos Theater. February 27th.
- North winds. Zarzuela and talk-colloquium. Behotsik Orkestra and Santander Youth Choir. Campos Eliseos Theater. February 28th.
- The exhibition “The Roaring Twenties” focuses on Berlin and Paris, but also includes looks at other avant-garde hotbeds, such as Vienna and Zurich. It is a cooperation between Guggenheim Museum Bilbao and Kunsthaus Zürich. From next May 7th, 2021 until September 19th, 2021.
Best traditions and festivals in Bilbao and Biscay in February 2021:
- Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. Every Friday. In Mungia
- Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal. Every Saturday.
- Fair of San Blas. Fair for crafts, livestock, machinery, nurserymen and oxen testing. Exhibition and sale of farmhouse products. Awards for the best agricultural and livestock production. Special activities for children, Basque sports, bertsolaris shows (sudden poets) and exhibitions of dragging stones with oxen are organized. February 3rd. In Abadino.
- Pilgrimage to the Sanctuary of Santa Águeda. It is the patron of women and fertility. The main pilgrimage on February 5th, and two others: one the previous Sunday and another the following Sunday. On February 4th, choirs and gangs roam the streets singing in honor of the Holy and accompany their songs with rods and sticks (“makilas”) with which the ground is beaten rhythmically. In Kastrexana (Barakaldo). Cancelled.
- Fair of trees, plants and tools of the farmhouse. February 8th. In Markina-Xemein.
- Carnivals: Aratuste. The most important carnival in Bizkaia, since 1841. In the morning the men come out in their white dresses like atorrak, and in the afternoon the women like lamiak. They represent themes of Basque local mythology. They represent themes of Basque local mythology. From February 10th until 13th. In Mundaka
- Carnival Celebrations: Bilbao, Mundaka and Markina-Xemein. Concerts, dance shows, tastings and various competitions, various activities… From February 11th until 16th.
- Carnivals. Special: the trial of Farolín and Zarambolas (distinctions that are awarded to popular figures from our environment), who represent the bragging and goodness of Bilbao, respectively. From February 11th until 16th
- Livestock fair: bovine, wool, horse and goat. Agricultural machinery and tools. Exhibition and sale of farmhouse products. February 16th. In Mungia
Basque sports in Bilbao and Biscay in February 2021
- XIV Punta Galea Challenge is one of 7 that form part of the prestigious Big Wave Tour, and the only one held in Europe. One day between November 1st, 2019 until and March 31, 2020. In Getxo. Cancelled.
There are other leisure options that we can suggest during our excursions, more tailored to your interests and type of trip, whether as a family, partner, group of friends, or for business. Do not doubt to ask me!