Traditions, arts, music, sports, events & exhibitions agenda in Bilbao and Biscay in August 2020.
We have selected those leisure activities happening in Bilbao and Biscay in August 2020, that a traveler, tourist, commercial or foreign visitor can fully enjoy. Theaters plays, or cultural, sport or social events focused on the local public, among others, are not suggested.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Best Basques traditions and festivities in Bilbao and Biscay:
- Every Friday. Peasant Market. Exhibition and sale of farm products. In Mungia.
- Every Saturday. Gure Lurreko Merkatuak. Market of products of the hamlets of Bizkaia, made in a traditional way by their farmers, with Basque varieties and native breeds. Slow food, natural and local foods. Tinglados del Arenal.
- Every Sunday. Flower and plant market. Flowers and plants grown and collected directly by local producers. A melting pot of colors and smells. Tinglados del Arenal.
- From July 30 to August 2nd. St Ignatius Loyola Festival. Local music, food, drinks and parties. In Azpeitia, Baracaldo, Basauri, Bilbao, Getxo, Durango, Erandio, Galdakao Leioa, Portugalete, Santurtzi, Sestao.
- August 1st. Arabar Errioxako Ardoa eta Makailoa. Tasting and tasting of Rioja Alavesa wine and cod. Fruit and vegetable fair. Exhibition and sale of Basque crafts. In Guernica-Lumo.
- August 8th. XXXIII Lekeitioko Baserri Azoka. Agricultural Fair. Exhibition and sale of products from the farmhouse. Tasting of meat. In Lekeitio.
- From August 14th until 18th. Festivals in honor to Our Lady of the Assumption (August 15th) and San Roque (August 16th). In Llodio, Amurrio, Moreda de Álava, Nanclares de Oca, Elvillar, Asparrena, Bilbao, Portugalete, Guernika, Ondarroa, Gorliz, Mallabia, San Sebastian, Deba, Gabiria, Zarautz, Aduna, Elgoibar, …
- August 16th. Idiazabal Cheese Contest. XXXI Official Competition D.O. In Plentzia.
- From August 18th to 26th. Semana Grande (Big week of Bilbao). One of the most popular parties in the Basque Country. Cancelled.
Regarding arts, congress and exhibits in Bilbao and Biscay:
- From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2020. Exhibition: ABC. The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. With this expo the 110th birthday of the museum is celebrated. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- From February 14th until April 4th, 2021. Olafur Eliasson: In real life. Danish-Icelandic artist Olafur Eliasson places the viewer’s experience at the core of his art. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum.
- From February 29th until August 23th. Richard Artschwager exhibition. Art halfway between painting and sculpture, developing a unique language. Bilbao Guggenheim museum.
- From March 6th until October 25th. Exhibition Lygia Clark: Painting as an experimental field, 1948−1958. Pioneer of abstraction, the Brazilian Lygia Clark was a fundamental artist of the second half of the 20th century. Bilbao Guggenheim museum.
- From June 1st until September 20th. Steve Paxton: Drafting Interior Techniques. It consists of eight ‘studies’ on an interior technique ’applied to the body in motion that improvises. It revolves around a question that Paxton constantly posed to himself in his study: What does my body do when I am not aware of it? Bilbao Azkuna Center.
- Until December 2020. Exhibition: “J. S. Elkano. After the Footprint”. It delves into the biography of Juan Sebastian Elkano (1487/88 -1526), and allows the visitor to follow his life imprint, before, during and after the first circumnavigation of the Earth. Bilbao Basque Maritime Museum.
- From July 4th until August 29th. Musikaire 2020. Summer festival with music, theater and contemporary dance that uses the most attractive places in the town as a stage, especially its magnificent palaces and gardens. This year they will be in San Roke and Aldatsekua. In Elorrio.
- From July 6th until August 27th. Cultural summer: theater, circus, clown, magic, dance, bertsolaritza and music, among others.
- From July 24th until August 29th. Cultural program of the Chillida Leku museum for the summer. Different activities of dance, music or yoga and there will be workshops for children and night visits. In Hernani.
- August 1st. “Electroconfort”, new album by the modern music band “The Captain Elephant”. Euskalduna Palace – Room 0B.
- August 2nd. Antonio Oyarzabal, pianist. Piano recital with works by women composers. Euskalduna Palace – Room 0B.
- August 2nd. Dalias is the combination of different poetic and dramatic texts by Federico García Lorca. Actors use physical theater or dance throughout the story. Euskalduna Palace – Room 0E.
- August 9th and 10th. Music festival. Outside amphitheater of the Pozalagua Caves. The concerts will claim the best tradition of rock and classical music with the performance of Desira, Remember Queen and the Bilbao Symphony Orchestra. Cancelled. In Pozalagua
- August 18th. Extraordinary Concert – Bilbao Symphony Orchestra. Euskalduna Palace – Auditorium.
- From August 20th until September 13th. Musical: Cruz de Navajas. A show that pays tribute and recognition to the music of the Mecano group. Arriaga Theater.
- August 22nd. Concert “La Fantástica” by Berlioz – Symphony Orchestra of the Basque Country. Euskalduna Palace – Auditorium.
- August 26th. Flamenco show with the famous Almería-born cantaora María José Pérez and the Vitoria-Gasteiz dancer “La Pulga”. Music by Manuel de Falla, Sarasate and Granados. Bilbao Sinfonietta. Euskalduna Palace – Auditorium.
- From next November 20th until May 30th, 2021. Kandinsky at the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. Paintings and works on paper and trace the aesthetic evolution of Kadinsky throughout his career.
Basque sports in Bilbao and Biscay in August 2020:
- July 31st. New probable date: August 2. Getxo cycling circuit. Ricardo Otxoa Memorial. In Getxo.
- Quarterfinals: August 21st and 22nd. Semifinals: August 25th and 26th. End: August 30th in San Sebastian. UEFA Women’s Champions League. San Mamés Stadium in Bilbao and at the Anoeta Stadium in San Sebastian. In Bilbao and San Sebastian.
It is likely that there are other leisure options that we can suggest during our tours, more adjusted to your interests and type of trip you make, whether family, couple, group of friends, business, do not hesitate to ask me!
May you have already selected the dates of your stay in Bilbao or its surroundings and want a city tour personalized and exclusive, contact me.
Leave A Comment