You can complement your leisure time by enjoying the Basque culture, its traditions and sports activities in September 2022, during your visit or stay in any province of the Basque Country.
I have selected for you the Basque culture events of September 2022 that I think will make you understand and get to know the locals better.
Basque cultural activities in San Sebastian and Guipuzcoa
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19th, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Dialogue in the 50s and 60s. Exhibition by Jorge Oteiza and Eduardo Chillida. Performance by Kukai Dantza Taldea on May 14th. San Telmo Museum. From April 9th to October 2nd.
- Miró in Zabalaga exhibition. The Chillida Leku Museum presents an exhibition of Joan Miró as a guest artist in 2022. From May 21st to November 1st in Hernani.
- Exhibition “Tom Kublin for Balenciaga. An unusual collaboration” It deepens and highlights the professional relationship between Cristóbal Balenciaga and photographer Tom Kublin for more than two decades. Collaboration of the Balenciaga Archives in Paris, the Swiss National Museum and the Zurich Design Museum. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. From June 10th to October 16th.
- From movie! Film music show for all ages. Basque Country Symphony Orchestra. Kursaal Auditorium. September 1st.
- Bertrand Chamayou – Festival Ravel. Piano concert. Chillida-Leku. September 3th.
- Drifter Competition: La Concha Flag. Since 1879 in the Bay of San Sebastian. From September 4th to 11th.
- Kursaal Film Festival. Online film festival, or also called Video On Demand. Fiction, animation and documentary short films. Kursaal Theatre. From September 15th to 30th.
- Zinemaldia: 70th San Sebastian International Film Festival. Official Selection, New Directors, Pearls, Culinary Cinema, LGTBQ,…Kursaal, Teatro Principal. Tabakalera, Príncipe and Antiguo-Berri Cinemas, Antonio Elorza Velodrome and Victoria Eugenia Theatre. From September 16th to 24th.
- 60th Exfilna’22. Exhibition of stamps, envelopes and/or postal documents. Conferences, book presentations, cultural visits and exhibitions of other collections. FICOBA Campus of Irun. From September 21st to 25th.
Basque culture events in Bilbao and Bizkaia in September 2022
- 25th Anniversary of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. Extensive program of exhibitions and shows of music, dance, lights, choirs and recitals. From February 7th, 2022 to December 31st.
- Exhibition: Movement. Cars, Art, Architecture. The relevance of the automobile in relation to the history of art and design of the last century. Norman Foster Foundation. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From April 8th to September 18th.
- Temporary exhibition “Elkano. Navigation and science”. Tour of the existing navigation techniques at the beginning of the 16th century used by Juan Sebastián Elkano and his crew to complete the first circumnavigation of the world. Balbao Basque Maritime Museum. From May 20th to October 30th.
- “Serra/Seurat. Drawings“. Richard Serra (1938) said that the drawing of the French creator Georges Seurat is perhaps the most outstanding aspect of his work. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From June 9th to September 6th.
- Impressionists, in moving images. Immersive exhibition for adults and children. Euskalduna Urban Hall. From August 5th to September 8th.
- The Hole X. “You have to be in the Hole to get out of the Hole.” Musical: club, theater and cabaret. Show for adults. Euskalduna Bilbao. From August 19th to September 11th.
- Landing of the Basque Juan Sebastián Elcano and his 17 crew members in the Nao Victoria. Medieval fair and popular representation. Celebration for the 500th anniversary of the first trip around the World. Getaria / Getaria. September 6th.
- International Contest of Paper Dresses in Güeñes. Fashion creations (dresses and accessories) made exclusively on paper. Categories: adult and child. Parque Arenatzarte. September, 10th.
- Bilbao Bizkaia Multisport Triathlon European Championship 2022. Categories: Elite, Sub-’23, Age Groups and Paratriathlon. Six titles at stake in Bilbao, Enkarterri, Urdaibai, Getxo and Portugalete. From September 17th to 24th.
- The Cage of Madwomen (La Cage aux folles) by French playwright Jean Poiret. Great music show. Arriaga Theatre. From August 18th to September 11th.
Enjoy Basque culture in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in September 2022
- Daniel Zuloaga (1852-1921), potter. Sample of his pieces accompanied by two oil paintings: “Men of Segovia” by Pablo Uranga from Alava and his portrait of Elías Salaverría. Alava Museum of Fine Arts. From May 18th to November 20th.
- The peripeteia of the automaton. Exhibition dedicated to the work of Néstor Sanmiguel Diest (Zaragoza, 1949). Curatorial project in two simultaneous exhibitions: in the Palacio de Velázquez of the Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid and in the Contemporary Art of the Basque Country Museum – Artium Museoa in Vitoria-Gasteiz. From June 24th to November 1st.
- José Ibarrola exhibition “Look around”. Water Tank of the Montehermoso Cultural Center. From June 24th to September 11th, 2022.
- FesTVal – Vitoria-Gasteiz Television Festival. The largest festival in Spain dedicated exclusively to television: contests, magazines, series, cultural, educational and social programs, news programs, children’s, youth and adult entertainment… From September 5th to 11th.
- Magialdia 2022: Vitoria-Gasteiz International Magic Festival. Magic in theaters, schools, tram stops or shop windows, children’s workshops and magic routes. From September 12th to 18th.
- “The tree and the forest” tour. Rozalen singer. Inclusive concert, with Beatriz Romero, sign language interpreter. Fernando Buesa Arena of Vitoria-Gasteiz. September 16th.
- Magialdia 2022: Specialized Work Days. Congress section of the International Magic Festival aimed at magic professionals. Palace of Congresses Europe. From September 16th to 18th.
- “Musiketxea” and “Conquerors in danger”. Outdoor music. Municipal Music Band of Vitoria-Gasteiz. Secret Water Garden. September 23rd and 30th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in September 2022.