You can complement your leisure by enjoying some cultural or sports activities in September 2021, during your visit or stay in any Basque province.
I have selected for you the Basque Culture events in September 2021 that I believe make you understand and know the locals better.
It is very likely that the events have some adjustment due to the Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Enjoy Basque Culture in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in September 2021
- Exhibition “Alaïa & Balenciaga. Sculptors of the form”. More than 100 works by both creators – Azzedine Alaïa (1935-2017) and Cristóbal Balenciaga (1895-1972) – belonging to the collections of the Azzedine Alaïa Foundation in Paris. Tenth anniversary of the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. From April 30th until October 31st. In Getaria.
- Exhibition: Hondalea (Sea Abyss). Inspired by the remarkable geology of the Basque coast, Cristina Iglesias has transformed the interior of the Casa del Faro on the island of Santa Clara, restoring it and turning it into a breathtaking sculptural environment. From June 3rd to September 26th.
- Tàpies in Zabalaga. Exhibition focused on the large-format sculptures of the Catalan artist. Chillida Leku Museum. Free guided tour from June 12th to September 30th. From June 10th, 2021 to January 10th, 2022. In Hernani.
- IX edition “The hidden treasures of the Ignatian Land”. Cultural activities and visits to the heritage of the regions where Saint Ignacius Loyola lived. From June 12th to December 31st. In Antzuola / Aretxabaleta / Arrasate / Mondragón / Azkoitia / Azpeitia / Bergara / Eskoriatza / Ezkio-Itsaso / Ezkio-Itsaso / Legazpi / Leintz Gatzaga / Urretxu / Zumarraga.
- Exhibition: “The longest trip. The first round the world”. In commemoration of the first circumnavigation of the earth by Magellan and Elcano. San Telmo Museum. From June 26th to October 24th.
- Cocoons?, the musical; No means no. Musical theater in which the life and personality of five women are addressed. Victoria Eugenia Theater. From September 1st to 5th.
- Sportjam Surftest. All the fashion of surfing. Kursaal-Palacio de Congresos. From September 3rd to 5th.
- The biggest rowing event of the year in the North of Spain (dating back to 1879), the flag of La Concha will be hold by the winner of this event. From September 5th until 12th.
- “Euskal Jaiak” (Basque Festivities). Concerts, Basque rural sports, cooking workshops and gastronomic competitions. Contest of cheeses, cattle, fruits and vegetables, Basque hen and exhibition of perretxikos. Particularly noteworthy is the Latxa Sheep Cheese Contest. September 8th. In Ordizia.
- Dantza Hirian 2021: look, feel, listen. Play the dance! Cross-border festival (Gipuzkoa and Iparralde) of contemporary dance in urban landscapes. From September 10th until 26th. In San Sebastian / Errenteria / Hondarribia / Irun.
- The legend of the kiss, Sasibill. Zarzuela premiered in Madrid in 1924. Victoria Eugenia Theater. September 11th and 12th.
- Kursaal Film Festival. Online film festival, or also called Video On Demand. “If it’s short and it’s good, twice it’s good.” From September 15th until 30th.
- 69th International Film Festival “Zinemaldia“. The Donostia Prize, this year, goes to actress Sigourney Weaver. Sections: Official Section, New Directors, Perlas, Culinary Cinema or Zabaltegi-Tabakalera. From September 17th to 25th.
- Sebastiane (LGBTQ) Awards: Sebastiane Award of the San Sebastian International Festival and the Sebastiane Latino Award. From From September 17th to 25th.
- Donostia Kutxa Kultur Festibala. Hippodrome of San Sebastian. Urban, hip hop, trap, dancehall and mestizaje sounds. Big party around independent music. September 24th.
- Altza Apain. Urban art meeting 2021. Meetings of artists specializing in murals that take part each year in a neighborhood of the city. Casares-Tomasene Cultural Center. From September 27th to October 3rd.
Basque Culture activities in Bilbao in September 2021
- The roaring 20s. Exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in which the artistic director of the Arriaga Theater, Calixto Bieito, participates as a designer. And in the theater you can see a program for two months that will evoke that time of effervescence and creative freedom. From May 7th to September 19th.
- Exhibition “Ibarrola in the estuary, water, iron, fire and air”. Exhibition by the Basque Agustín Ibarrola (Basauri, 1930) with 17 large-format oil paintings and 20 drawings on maritime and industrial themes of the Bilbao Estuary. From May 11th until January 31st., 2022.
- Exhibition “Luis Paret Sacred and profane art”. Articulated in two locations – the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Sacred Art, both in Bilbao. From June 9th until September 5th.
- The line of wit. Selection of works from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao’s Own Collection whose common features are humor, wit and experimentation. From June 11th until January 16th, 2022.
- Gextophoto. Festival of photography that bets on the use of formats, supports and unconventional spaces to show the images. From September 2nd until 26th. In Getxo.
- Muntadas. The empty city. An audiovisual piece commissioned by the museum, in which the Catalan artist invites us to look at the city from a different point of view. Showing Bilbao, its current urban planning and its historical context, are the starting point for a broader investigation of public space and architecture. Until September 5th.
- Symphony No. 9, “Choral” by the German composer Ludwig van Beethoven, his last complete symphony. 65-minute play, directed by Juanjo Mena, which inaugurates the series of commemorative concerts of the “50th Anniversary Research in Cancer” of the Spanish Association Against Cancer. Euskadiko Orkestra and the Orfeón Donostiarra perform it at the Euskalduna Palace. September 11th.
- Alice Neel Exhibition: People Come First. First retrospective in Spain of the work of the American artist composed of a hundred paintings, drawings and watercolors. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From September 17th until February 6th, 2022.
- Break On Stage 2021: International Festival of Urban Cultures. The best International Breakdance. Urban dance, music and urban sports performances: breakdance, scooter, bmx, urban dance, parkour, beat-box and Cyr Wheel. Galindo Skate Parkea, Barakaldes Frontoia and Barakaldo Theater. September 18th. In Barakaldo.
- Getxo Folk BBK. Concerts by Roberto and Miren Etxebarria, Judith Mateo and Amparanoia, Carlos Núñez, Bitartean and others. Muxikebarri. From September 22nd until 26th. In Getxo.
- 32nd International Cycling Tour. Routes of 85km, 115 and 125 kilometers, starting from the Deusto Bridge and finishing at Gran Vía Bilbao. September 26th.
- XI Humor Festival. Ja! Bilbao is a festival that highlights the importance of humors in the arts, particularly in literature. Sala BBK, Alhóndiga Bilbao, Mercado de la Ribera, Campos Elíseos Theatre. From next October 1st until 10th.
- Open House Bilbao. Festival of open doors of Bilbao in more than 45 buildings to better understand the city through its architecture and urbanism. Free guided tours. From next October 16th and 17th.
Basque Culture in Bayonne and French Basque Country
- 8th Biennial of Contemporary Art. The Anglet Biennale of Contemporary Art has found its place nationwide in France with the presence of major artists who share their artistic creations with the public. Chambre d’Amour beach. From August 7th until October 31st. In Anglet.
- Ravel Festival 2021. From August 22nd to September 10th. In Saint Jean de Luz and Ciboure.
- Basque pelota at Cesta Punta – Open d’Aguilera. Fronton Euskal Jaï Aguilera. From September 1st, 6th, 8th, 13th, 15th, 20th, 22nd, 27th and 29th. In Biarritz.
- Atlantic Fair: Corrida Goyesque Bleue. Toros de El Montecillo (Toledo) for Enrique Ponce, Daniel Luque and Emilio de Justo. Bayonne Arena. September 3rd. In Bayonne.
- 14th edition Wine and Gastronomy Fair. The world of gastronomic and wine-making crafts comes your way and offers you a tour of France of gastronomy and the know-how of our artisans and producers. 100 artisans, manufacturers, distributors and producers passionate about their products. Iraty Hall. From September 3rd to 6th. In Biarritz.
- Atlantic Fair: Corrida. Toros de Garcigrande for two of the biggest stars in the bullfighting world: maestro El Juli and the last winner of the Bullring in Madrid, Paco Ureña. They will be accompanied by the Frenchman Juan LEAL who has distinguished himself with force in many arenas in recent times… Arènes de Bayonne. September 5th. In Bayonne.
- 25th Rally of the sea of old vehicles. Parade for the center of the city. September 12th. In Saint Jean de Luz.
- Golf: Renault Lamerain Saint Jean de Luz Prize. Golf de la Nivelle (Ciboure). September 12th. In Saint Jean de Luz.
- Basque Country International Elegance Automobile. Concours d’Elegance Automobile, a large-scale event organized around the most prestigious vehicles of major brands, Arts exhibitions & an Auto-Moto Club village in Biarritz. Municipal Casino, Hippodrome des Fleurs and Halle d’Iraty and throughout the Basque country. From September 17th to 19th. In Biarritz.
- European Heritage Days. September 18th and 19th. In Bayona, Bidart, Urrugne, San Juan de Luz, Hendaye,…
- Hoalen Fathers & Sons Surf Contest. Sporty and friendly meeting dedicated to the passion of family surfing. Authorized boards: longboard, shortboard, stand up paddle. With the participation of the Urkirola Surf Club and Surfer’s journal. September 25th and 26th. In Saint Jean de Luz.
- Pigeon hunting with nets. Feast of the Dove. This ancient custom begins every year on September 29, Saint Michael’s Day, and ends on November 11, Saint Martin’s Day. In Sare.
Basque Culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in September 2021
- “Windows to the Basque art collection” between the years 1850-1950. Artists who introduced the new artistic languages -impressionism, symbolism or Fauvism- in the Basque Country, after passing through Paris and other European capitals. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. From January 17th, 2020 until September 26th, 2021.
- “Ignacio Figueroa, Marquis of Villamejor”. A portrait by Joaquín Bárbara y Balza: life and work of an artista recovered [1867–1931]. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. From September 25th, 2020 until September 12th, 2021.
- Playing cards women producers: A living memory. The work carried out by these women stands out. Museo Fournier de Naipes de Álava. From March 24th until January 31st, 2022.
- FesTVal – Spanish Television Festival. Festival dedicated exclusively to television in all its formats: contests, magazines, series, cultural, educational and social outreach programs, news programs, children’s, youth and adult entertainment… From August 31st until September 5th.
- XXXIX Ancient Music Week of Álava. Medieval, Renaissance and Baroque pieces are performed, with musical instruments typical of that time, originals or original copies. From September 4th to 11th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz, Llodio, Murgía and Bernedo.
- Magialdia 2021: Specialized Work Days. Congressional section of Magialdia – International Magic Festival: includes content aimed at magic professionals. Europe Conference Center. From September 13th to 19th.
- VI International Magic Festival. “Magialdia 2020”. The most prestigious magicians from around the world attend. From September 13th to 19th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz and Murgia, Okondo, Ribabellosa, Artziniega, Nanclares de la Oca, Villabuena, San Román de Campezo, Zalduondo, Amurrio, Lapuebla de Argarzón, Samaniego, Villanueva de Valdegovía, Puentelarrá, Zambrana, Salinas de Añana.
- Rioja Alavesa Harvest Festival. Aizkolaris tournament, popular food, performances by musical and dance groups, games and activities for children, parades and a small fair of artisan products and with Label. Wine tasting and awards ceremony. September 14th. In Lanciego.
- Great Week of Pintxo de Álava. Competition between the pintxos (Basque tapas) that are presented in the competition. Tasting phase: from next October 9th to 18th. Final phase: October 22nd.
You can also ask us about Basque Culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying any of our personalized and private excursions in September 2021.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us by clicking here.