You can complement your leisure time by enjoying the Basque culture, its traditions and sports activities in October 2022, during your visit or stay in any province of the Basque Country.
I have selected for you the Basque culture events of October 2022 that I think will make you understand and get to know the locals better.
Basque cultural activities in Bilbao and Bizkaia in October 2022
- 25th Anniversary of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. Extensive program of exhibitions and shows of music, dance, lights, choirs and recitals. From February 7th, 2022 to December 31st.
- Temporary exhibition “Elkano. Navigation and science”. Tour of the existing navigation techniques at the beginning of the 16th century used by Juan Sebastián Elkano and his crew to complete the first circumnavigation of the world. Bilbao Basque Maritime Museum. From May 20th to October 30th.
- Euskadi Surfing Exhibition. History of surfing in the Basque Country. Itsasmuseum. Bilbao Maritime Museum. From June 12th to October 31st.
- Ja! Bilbao – 13th International Festival of Literature and Art with Humor. He highlights the importance of humor in the arts and especially in literature. From September 29th to October 11th.
- Open House Bilbao. The largest open doors festival in Bilbao. Bilbao City Hall, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Arriaga Theatre, among 26 other buildings, will open their doors. October 1st and 2nd.
- “In your skin” tour. Alvaro Soler in concert. Euskalduna Palace. October 16th.
- Operetta, a night in Vienna. The soprano Martina Serafin and the tenor Andreas Schager, regulars at the Vienna State Opera, with the pianita Rubén Fdez.Aguirre. Arriaga Theatre. October 16th.
- EDP Bilbao Night Marathon. 3 approved distances: 42K, 21K and 10K through the main streets of Bilbao. Departure from San Mamés Stadium and will end at the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. October 22nd.
- Balmaseda International Putxeras Contest, since 1971. Putxera is a dish based on beans, bacon, chorizo and black pudding. Custom of the old drivers of the railway that linked Bilbao and León. Big day of the San Severino festivities. October 23rd.
- BIME, Biscay International Music Experience. “Pro” version with presentations by professionals at the Bilbao Arena, and its “live” side, the BIME Live at the Euskalduna Palace. The concerts are the real protagonists. From October 26th to 29th.
- María Pagés Company: De Sheherazade. Women who dance, think, sing and storm the stage of life. 12 flamenco dance choreographies. Arriaga Theatre. October 29th and 30th.
Basque culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in October 2022
- Daniel Zuloaga (1852-1921), potter. Sample of his pieces accompanied by two oil paintings: “Men of Segovia” by Pablo Uranga from Alava and his portrait of Elías Salaverría. Alava Museum of Fine Arts. From May 18th to November 20th.
- The peripeteia of the automaton. Exhibition dedicated to the work of Néstor Sanmiguel Diest (Zaragoza, 1949). Curatorial project in two simultaneous exhibitions: in the Palacio de Velázquez of the Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid and in the Contemporary Art of the Basque Country Museum – Artium Museoa in Vitoria-Gasteiz. From June 24th to November 1st.
- Vitoria-Gasteiz International Theater Festival 2022: “Bells & spells”. Principal Theater. October 1st.
- Miniature Pintxos Congress 2022: Haute cuisine in miniature. Aimed at the professional sector and the general public. Approach and enjoy pintxos with the celebration of experiential dinners, pintxo routes, technical demonstrations, workshops… Vitoria-Gasteiz Europa Palace of Congresses and Exhibitions. October.
- Jalgi! festival voice. Hanfris Quartet. A cappella vocal music. “Hanfris10” is the musical show that celebrates the 10th anniversary of the birth of this young and acclaimed Catalan Babershop group. October 1st at Amurrio Antzokia, and October 2nd at the Montehermoso Cultural Center in Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Adriana González, soprano, and Iñaki Encina Oyón, on piano. Chamber Cycle of the Teatro Principal 2022. Jesús Guridi Conservatory of Music. October 8th.
- Ladies Football Club. Eleven women who act, sing, dance, move, and above all, move. Principal Theater. October 8th.
- Municipal Music Band of Vitoria-Gasteiz: “Fiestas del Pilar” (“Music in the Open Air” cycle). Hegoalde Civic Center. October 12th.
- XXVIII Valdegovía Potato Fair. Gastronomy, crafts, children’s games and music. October 16th. In Espejo.
- Danzálava 2022 / Performance: Florence Augendre + Frank Hemmerlé. Hegoalde Civic Center. October 29th.
- Wine Run Rioja Alavesa: Run with the spirit of wine. Test of 20 km, and another short of 10 km. Popular march between vineyards and wineries. Fair of the Wine and gastronomic products of Rioja Alavesa. in Labastida. October 30th.
Enjoy Basque culture in San Sebastian and Guipuzcoa
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19th, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Dialogue in the 50s and 60s. Exhibition by Jorge Oteiza and Eduardo Chillida. Performance by Kukai Dantza Taldea on May 14th. San Telmo Museum. From April 9th to October 2nd.
- Miró in Zabalaga exhibition. The Chillida Leku Museum presents an exhibition of Joan Miró as a guest artist in 2022. From May 21st to November 1st in Hernani.
- Exhibition “Tom Kublin for Balenciaga. An unusual collaboration” It deepens and highlights the professional relationship between Cristóbal Balenciaga and photographer Tom Kublin for more than two decades. Collaboration of the Balenciaga Archives in Paris, the Swiss National Museum and the Zurich Design Museum. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. From June 10th to October 16th.
- XXIII San Sebastian Gastronomika. The event will rediscover the French culinary reality. New dialogue between French and Spanish cuisines under the title Reunions. Kursaal Palace. October 2nd to 5th.
- James Rhodes. The pianist and writer turns the traditional classical concert into a truly inclusive experience. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. October 6th.
- Les Arts Florissants. Orchestra and choir. Handel’s pastoral ode and the poet John Milton. Kursaal Auditorium. October 12th.
- Emir Kusturica and The No Smoking Orchestra. Folk music from Europe and the world. Kursaal Auditorium. October 13th.
- Pro Zarautz – Surfing World Championship. Circuit of world character with QS1500. It includes a festival of music, dance,… From October 19th to 23rd.
- Fantastic and Horror Film Week in San Sebastian. Parallel activities: exhibitions, cycles, children’s activities…Theater Principal, Victoria Eugenia Theatre, Kursaal. From October 28th until November 4th.
- Tolosa Goxua: special sweet fair. Try the sweetest products of Tolosa and discover first-hand the most interesting novelties of current pastry and confectionery. Triangle Square / Tolosa. October 29th.
- International Exhibition Felina. FICOBA. October 29th and 30th. In Irun.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in October 2022.