Complement your leisure time by enjoying some activity related to Basque culture, its traditions or sports in May 2022, during your visit or stay in any Spanish or French province of the Basque Country.
I have selected for you the events of the Basque culture of May 2022 that I think will make you understand and get to know the locals better.
It is very likely that the events will have some adjustment due to the Covid-19 regulations. Do not forget.
Basque cultural activities in San Sebastian and Guipúzcoa
- Balenciaga: the elegance of the hat. Exhibition resulting from a joint investigation of the hat collections of the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum and the Barcelona Design Museum. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. October 29th, 2021 to May 8th, 2022. In Getaria.
- Thomas J Price. Get. Chillida-Leku Museum. From February 17th, 2022 to May 30th. In Hernani.
- Walk through a forest of sculptures. Permanent exhibition of Chillida’s work. Chillida-Leku Museum. From February to December 2022. In Hernani.
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Dialogue in the 50s and 60s. Exhibition by Jorge Oteiza and Eduardo Chillida. Kukai Dantza Taldea performs on May 14th. San Telmo Museum. From April 9th to October 2nd.
- Dock of the bay 2022. Music Documentary Film Festival. Principe Cinemas and the Principal Theater. From May 2nd to 7th.
- Verdi’s Rigoleto (stage opera). Excelentia Vocal Ensemble and the Santa Cecilia Classical Orchestra. Kursaal Auditorium. May 14th.
- Exhibition Miró in Zabalaga. The Chillida Leku Museum presents an exhibition of Joan Miró as a guest artist in 2022. From May 21st to November 1st.
- Maritime Festival. It brings together maritime cultures from different parts of the world. This year the invited oceanic culture is Portugal, specifically the town of Moita. Between May 26th and 29th. In Pasaia
- Giselle. Compañía Nacional de Danza presents a new version seen through Spanish romanticism. Kursaal Auditorium. May 29th.
- Zegama-Aizkorri Alpine Marathon. Test scoring for Golden Trail World Series. 42 kilometers across four of the highest peaks in the Basque Country. May 29th.
Basque culture events in Bilbao and Biscay in May 2022
- “Guernica” by Agustin Ibarrola. This new acquisition is an emblematic work of Basque art and of the painter’s output, and was also one of the most significant episodes in the museum’s recent history. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From October 18th, 2021 to June 26th.
- 25th Anniversary of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Extensive program of exhibitions and shows of music, dance, lights, choirs and recitals. From February 7th, 2022 to December 31st.
- Exhibition: “From Fauvism to Surrealism: 70 masterpieces from the Musée d’Art Moderne de Paris (MAM)”. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. From February 11th to May 22nd.
- Exhibition: “Jean Dubuffet: Fervent Celebration”. Comprised of holdings from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 25th to August 21st.
- Movement. Cars, Art, Architecture. The relevance of the automobile in relation to the history of art and design of the last century. Norman Foster Foundation. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From April 8th to September 18th.
- FANT. Bilbao Fantastic Film Festival. Wide range of interesting activities (music sessions, workshops…). Champs Elysees Theatre. From May 6th to 14th.
- Medieval Market. Reference of the cultural offer of Basque Country. Theater performers, minstrels, comedians, troubadours, big heads, tightrope walkers and acrobats make us enjoy this show every year. May 14th and 15th. In Balmaseda.
- Iceland Dance Company: Romeo and Juliet. Contemporary dance, visual art, and the music of Prokofiev combine to build a monstrously beautiful ballet. Arriaga Theatre. May 20th and 21st.
- Sara Baras: “Soul of Bolero”. Where flamenco embraces the bolero, and the bolero allows itself to be embraced by flamenco. Auditorium of the Euskalduna Palace. May 26th.
Enjoy Basque culture in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in May 2022
- A place to think. Experimental educational artistic schools and practices in the Basque Country, 1957-1979. Collaboration with the Jorge Oteiza Museum Foundation. Artium Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country. From January 21st to June 5th.
- Exhibition: Emma Kunz Universe. The Swiss Emma Kunz was a researcher, artist, neuropath and healer and, today, she is known above all for her drawings made with pendulum, compass and ruler on graph paper. Artium Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country. From January 28 to June 16.
- Feast of San Prudencio and Our Lady of Estíbaliz. Pilgrimage to the Sanctuary of Armentia on April 28, and Pilgrimage to the Sanctuary of Estíbaliz on May 1st. From April 27th to May 1st.
- EDP Vitoria-Gasteiz Martin Fiz Marathon. In addition, they will compete in a half marathon, a popular race, the roller skate marathon and the “Txiki” marathon. May 8th.
- Piper’s Day. Concerts, dance festivals, composition contests and recovery of works, targets, parades…May. In Laguardia.
- Pagliacci. To voice Pagliacci is one of the top operas of Italian verismo and of all history. Antzokia Main Theater. May 13th and 15th.
- In the still of the night. A night trip with world dance star Lucia Lacarra and Matthew Golding. Antzokia Main Theater. may 19.
- Komedialdia. “Here and now: positive approach”. Comedy Festival. From May 24th to 29th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in May 2022.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us by clicking here.