You can complement your leisure by enjoying some culture, traditions or sports activities in June 2022, during your visit or stay in any province in Basque Country.
I have selected for you the Basque Culture events in June 2022 that I believe will make you understand and know the locals better.
It is very likely that the events have some adjustment due to the Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Basque Culture activities in Bilbao and Biscay in June 2022
- “Guernica” by Agustin Ibarrola. This new acquisition is an emblematic work of Basque art and of the painter’s output, and was also one of the most significant episodes in the museum’s recent history. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From October 18th, 2021 to June 26th.
- 25th Anniversary of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Extensive program of exhibitions and shows of music, dance, lights, choirs and recitals. From February 7th, 2022 to December 31st.
- Exhibition: “Jean Dubuffet: Fervent Celebration”. Comprised of holdings from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 25th to August 21st.
- Movement. Cars, Art, Architecture. The relevance of the automobile in relation to the history of art and design of the last century. Norman Foster Foundation. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From April 8th to September 18th.
- Basque Dok Festival. The festival of documentary photography. New photographic languages that have been installed in the documentary field, the new photojournalism 3.0 or street photography. From June 10th to 12th.
- “Every time Corpse” tour. Fito & Fitipaldis concert in San Mamés. Guest artists such as Dani Martín, Leiva, Carlos Tarque from M Clan and the guitarist from Fito en Platero and Tú Iñaki Uoho as well as performances by Morgan and Gatibu. June 11th.
- “The vice of singing 1965-2022”, the tour of the singer-songwriter Joan Manuel Serrat with which he will say goodbye to the stage. Euskalduna Palace. June 12th.
- Lekuz Leku Festival 2022. International Festival of Dance in Urban Landscapes. Short pieces in the urban landscape, in open spaces, unusual and unusual spaces. Abandoibarra Walk. From June 22nd to 25th.
- BBK Music Legends Festival. More authentic and energetic rhythms from great legends of rock, folk, blues…Bilbao Arena. June 24th and 25th.
- Oh, Babylon that makes you dizzy. Zarzuela concert. Some of the most sarcastic, hooligan and fun numbers of the great Zarzuelas. Arriaga Theatre. June 25th.
- Bilboko Kalealdia 2022. Festival of theater and street arts. Gran Vía and Old Town of Bilbao. From June 27th to July 2nd.
- 45th International Jazz Festival. Muxikebarri, Centro de Arte, Cultura y Congresos. From June 29th to July 3rd. In Getxo.
- Gernika 85 (Guernica 85). Symphonic and choral work, by the contemporary Basque composer Aitor Etxebarria, dedicated to the 85th anniversary of the bombing of Guernica. Bilbao Symphony Orchestra, Gaudeamus Choir of Gernika, international solo percussionist Evelyn Glennie, and Etxebarria himself on piano and electronic instruments. Euskalduna Palace. June 30th.
Basque Culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in June 2022
- A place to think. Experimental educational artistic schools and practices in the Basque Country, 1957-1979. Collaboration with the Jorge Oteiza Museum Foundation. Artium Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country. From January 21st to June 5th.
- Exhibition: Emma Kunz Universe. The Swiss Emma Kunz was a researcher, artist, neuropath and healer and, today, she is known above all for her drawings made with pendulum, compass and ruler on graph paper. Artium Museum – Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country. From January 28th to June 16th.
- Camerata Ireland. Great concert. Piano and direction: Barry Douglas. Main Theater. June 1st.
- XVI Gasteiz Big Band Festival. Rhythms of jazz, funk, swing and underground cumbia. White Virgin Square. June 3rd and 4th.
- VI Half Gasteiz. Middle Distance Triathlon. Championship of the Basque Country and the province of Álava. Ulibarri-Gamboa reservoir, Llanada Alavesa and the city of Vitoria-Gasteiz. June 4th.
- 10th Gastroswing. International swing festival. From June 9th to 12th.
- Kaldearte. Dance, magic, theater, music, humor, clown shows, mimes and street games. From June 10th to 12th.
- III Vitoria International Gymnastics Open. Buesa Arena Pavilion. June 10th, 11th and 12th.
- 9th Big Week of Álava Pintxo. Competition between the pintxos (Basque tapas) that are presented to the contest. From June 10th to 22nd.
- Long-distance test “The Mountains of Vitoria – Gasteizko Mendiak”. Manuel Iradier Hiker Society. June 11th.
- ARF Azkena Rock Festival. One of the most important festivals in Spain. It specializes in bands strongly implanted in the underground segment. Mendizabala. From June 16th to 18th.
- 40th Vitoria Proof Cycling Tour. 204 Kilometers, 7 Mountain Passes and 3,410 unevenness. June 26th.
Enjoy Basque Culture in San Sebastian and Guipúzcoa
- Walk through a forest of sculptures. Permanent exhibition of Chillida’s work. Chillida-Leku Museum. From February to December 2022. In Hernani.
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Dialogue in the 50s and 60s. Exhibition by Jorge Oteiza and Eduardo Chillida. Kukai Dantza Taldea performs on May 14th. San Telmo Museum. From April 9th to October 2nd.
- Exhibition Miró in Zabalaga. The Chillida Leku Museum presents an exhibition of Joan Miró as a guest artist in 2022. From May 21st to November 1st. In Hernani.
- The Magicians Festival. Unique and unrepeatable show by the world’s most renowned illusionists. Kursaal. June 5th.
- 4th Pasaia Dance Festival. Haatik Dance Company. Programming that includes classical proposals to contemporary dance. From June 9th to 12th.
- Zarautz Triathlon. The route will start from Getaria, with 2.9 km of swimming, 78 km of cycling circuit and 21 km of running. June 11th.
- Dance World Cup 2022 Championship. “The highest quality children’s and youth dance competition in the world” and the “Dance Olympics“. Kursaal Palace. From June 22nd to 30th.
- Ensemble Sorozabal. Cycle Tribute to Pablo Sorozábal on the occasion of the 125th anniversary of the birth of the composer from San Sebastian. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. June 23rd.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in June 2022.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us by clicking here.