You can complement your leisure by enjoying some culture, traditions or sports activities in July 2022, during your visit or stay in any province in Basque Country.
I have selected for you the Basque Culture events in July 2022 that I believe will make you understand and know the locals better.
Some events may still have a few requirements to comply with the Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Enjoy Basque Culture in Bilbao and Biscay in July 2022
- 25th Anniversary of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. Extensive program of exhibitions and shows of music, dance, lights, choirs and recitals. From February 7th, 2022 to December 31st.
- Exhibition: “Jean Dubuffet: Fervent Celebration”. Comprised of holdings from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 25th to August 21st.
- Movement. Cars, Art, Architecture. The relevance of the automobile in relation to the history of art and design of the last century. Norman Foster Foundation. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From April 8th to September 18th.
- Surfing Euskadi. Tour through the history of surfing, strongly rooted in the Basque Country. Sponsorship of Basquetour and Laboral Kutxa. Itsasmuseum, Bilbao Basque Maritime Museum. Temporal exposition. From May 11th to October 30th.
- “Serra/Seurat. Drawings”. Richard Serra (1938) said that the drawing of the French creator Georges Seurat is perhaps the aspect of his most outstanding work. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From June 9th to September 6th.
- Bilboko Kalealdia 2022. Festival of theater and street arts. Gran Vía and Old Town of Bilbao. From June 27th to July 2nd.
- 45th International Jazz Festival. Muxikebarri, Centro de Arte, Cultura y Congresos. From June 29th to July 3rd. In Getxo.
- Bilbao-Bizkaia Rock Day. Metallica, Weezer, The Hellacopters, Nothing But Thieves and The Regrettes. San Mames Stadium. July 3rd.
- Bilbao BBK Live Festival 2022. Music from the international electronic scene. The Killers, Placebo, Pet Shop Boys and others. From July 7th to 9th.
- Swan Lake. With the best Ukrainian dancers from the Ukrainian Classical Ballet, directed by choreographer Natalia Kazatska. Champs Elysees Theatre. July 21st and 22nd.
- Bilbao Blues Festival. Performances in the Arenal, and parades and shows of smaller format in other corners of the city. July 29th, 30th and 31st.
Basque Culture activities in San Sebastian and Guipúzcoa
- Walk through a forest of sculptures. Permanent exhibition of Chillida’s work. Chillida-Leku Museum. From February to December 2022. In Hernani.
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Dialogue in the 50s and 60s. Exhibition by Jorge Oteiza and Eduardo Chillida. Kukai Dantza Taldea performs on May 14th. San Telmo Museum. From April 9th to October 2nd.
- Exhibition Miró in Zabalaga. The Chillida Leku Museum presents an exhibition of Joan Miró as a guest artist in 2022. From May 21st to November 1st. In Hernani.
- Sextet meeting. Chucho Valdes & Paquito D’Rivera. Singularfest 2022. Unpublished concert hand in hand. Chillida Leku Museum. July 3rd. In Hernani.
- The Hole X, Letsgo. Club, theater and cabaret. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. From July 14th to 17th.
- Rock and Pop Classics. Delica Chamber Orchestra. The most famous melodies of The Beatles, Queen, Abba and other pop greats. Kursaal Palace. July 16th.
- Donostia Jazzaldia 2022. 57th edition. The oldest jazz festival in Spain. From July 21st to 25th.
- The Classic of San Sebastian. Cycling test that is within the UCI ProTour and is 225 kilometers. They cover almost the entire province. July 30th.
Basque Culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in July 2022
- “Baby tooth”. Exhibition of the painter Natalia Suárez. Montehermoso Cultural Center. Free entry. From May 6th to July 3rd.
- Daniel Zuloaga (1852-1921), potter. Sample of his pieces accompanied by two oil paintings: “Men of Segovia” by Pablo Uranga from Alava and his portrait by Elías Salaverría. Alava Museum of Fine Arts. From May 18th to November 20th.
- The peripeteia of the automaton. Exhibition dedicated to the work of Néstor Sanmiguel Diest (Zaragoza, 1949). Curatorial project in two simultaneous exhibitions: in the Palacio de Velázquez of the Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid and in the Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country – Artium Museoa in Vitoria-Gasteiz. From June 24th to November 1st.
- ‘The mountain’. Works inspired by the mountains. Concert of the Municipal Music Band. Cycle ‘Music in the Open Air’. Secret Garden of Water (back of the house of Music). July 8th.
- 45th Vitoria-Gasteiz Jazz Festival. Main Theater, Mendizorrotza Pavilion, rooms and streets of the city. Poster for the festival of the Madrid illustrator Javier Navarrete. From July 12th to 17th.
- ‘Unforgettable’. Works by Miller or Armstrong, and the solo voice of Begoña Divar. Concert of the Municipal Music Band. Cycle ‘Music in the Open Air’. Secret Garden of Water (back of the House of Music). July 15th.
- ‘Wind instruments’. Presentation of various wind instruments of the Municipal Music Band. Cycle ‘Music in the Open Air’. Secret Garden of Water (back of the house of Music). July 22nd.
- V edition Around the Table. Taste Rioja Alavesa wines and taste the best gastronomic products of the Basque Country. July 22nd and 23rd. In Oyón.
- Blouse and Neska Day. The Vitorian gangs (“blouses” for them and “neskas” for theirs) dress in a dark blouse, sandals and a neckerchief. July 25th.
- Mayumana: currents. An explosive cocktail of rhythm, dance, lights, music and humour. A unique visual and auditory experience. Main Theater of Vitoria-Gasteiz. From July 29th to 31st.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in July 2022.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us by clicking here.