I really like Basque culture, sports, and leisure highlights activities in July 2021 in the Basque Country both in Spain and France. Therefore, every month I select those that interest me to see and enjoy.
I want to share this selection with travelers who are temporarily in the Basque Country, lovers of art, culture and sports. The list will allow you to save time when choosing the events that suit your tastes and adjust them to your convenience.
Please note that some of the events below may change due to regulations to control Covid-19.
Basque culture activities in Bilbao
- ABC: The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. Exhibition for its 110 years of inauguration. Museum of Fine Arts. From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2021.
- Bilbao and the Painting. A perspective of painting in Bilbao on the 19th Century when Bilbao was one of the most important cities in Spain through a set of artist which incorporated French Impressionism and other avant-garde art currents. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From January 29th until August 28th.
- Mendiburu. Matter and memory. More than a hundred pieces including sculptures and works on paper. Museum of Fine Arts. Room 32. From April 14th until September 5th.
- Womanology. José Ramón Prieto Collection. Contemporary art made up exclusively of female artists, most of them belonging to the same generation. Museum of Fine Arts. From April 30th until September 5th.
- The roaring 20s. Exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in which the artistic director of the Arriaga Theater, Calixto Bieito, participates as a designer. And in the theater you can see a program for two months that will evoke that time of effervescence and creative freedom. From May 7th to September 19th.
- Exhibition “Ibarrola in the estuary, water, iron, fire and air”. Exhibition by the Basque Agustín Ibarrola (Basauri, 1930) with 17 large-format oil paintings and 20 drawings on maritime and industrial themes of the Bilbao Estuary. From May 11th until January 31st., 2022.
- Exhibition “All concerts, every night, all empty” by the artist Ana Laura Aláez. Azkuna Center. From May 20th to September 26th.
- Exhibition “Luis Paret Sacred and profane art”. Articulated in two locations – the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Sacred Art, both From June 9th until September 5th.
- The line of wit. Selection of works from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao’s Own Collection whose common features are humor, wit and experimentation. From June 11th until February 6th.
- International Jazz Festival in Gexto. From June 30th until 4th.
- Aurrera Fest 2021. Festival of local artists. Euskalduna Palace. From July 1st to 5th.
- The Tessee Rocking Boys + Big Band Guest artists. Presentation concert of his album “Es de Noche y es la Hora”. Basque-Argentine classic rock & roll band sung in Spanish. Euskalduna Palace. July 3rd.
- Sabina Tribute Dinner-Concert of the group “Pacto entre Caballeros en quintet”. Six musicians on stage offer the best of Joaquín Sabina’s most electric and rock repertoire, while you have dinner. Torre BEC Restaurant! + Terrace. July 3rd.
- Songs of a life. Tenor Andoni Martínez Barañano. Songs in Spanish, Italian and Basque. Euskalduna Palace. July 4th.
- Agustín Ibarrola exhibition, Naturalki. Tribute to his 90th birthday. The exhibition focuses on the fundamental relationship established between art and nature in the author’s work. Rekalde Room. Until July 4th.
- “FARO” is a flamenco show inspired by the poetry of the lighthouse, witness of innumerable battles and magical celebrations. Eduardo Guerrero, the Spanish bailaor with the most international projection. Euskalduna Palace. July 7th.
- “A Basque in Seville” and “Arquitectos del Aire- Alhóndiga“. Two pieces by the dancer Mikel del Valle. MDVDanza is a Basque company based Euskalduna Palace. July 17th.
- Dire Straits “Sultan of Swing” Tribute Dinner-Concert. Torre BEC! Restaurant, Bilbao Exhibition Center (BEC!). July 26th.
- Bilbako Kalealdia (International Festival of Theater and Street Arts.). Street shows, contemporary dance, circus and puppets. From June 28th until July 3rd.
- Muntadas. The empty city. An audiovisual piece commissioned by the museum, in which the Catalan artist invites us to look at the city from a different point of view. Showing Bilbao, its current urban planning and its historical context, are the starting point for a broader investigation of public space and architecture. Until September 5th.
- Zura eta Ura. Photo exhibition that invites to think about the loss of identity in the fishermen ports after the progressive substitution of wooden boats by boats made of synthetic materials. Maritime Museum. Until September 26th.
Basque culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz in July 2021
- The relics of Martioda. A restored treasure. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. From May 28th until January 16th, 2022.
- Van Gogh’s Ear in Concert. New album “A Whisper In The Storm”. Buesa Arena. July 2nd.
- Unity Stars Nation World Summer Cup. Qualifying days of rappers duels. The best freestylers in the world will compete in the “cock fights”. Exhibition battle by Endika Gutiérrez, ‘Invert’, Basque rapper. Iradier Arena. July 10th.
- 44th Jazz Festival from July 14th until 18th.
- A moonless night. Juan Diego Botto. A work in which we approach the lesser known aspects of the life and work of the poet Federico García Lorca. Antzokia Principal Theater. July 16th.
- Schubertaldia / Schubertiada 2021. Franz Schubert concerts in churches. July 16th, 17th, 23rd and 30th. In Tuesta, Angosto, Bachicabo.
- Spanish Autonomous Team Championship, Optimist Class 2021. Club Náutico Vitoria. From July 22nd to 25th. In Ullibarri Gamboa.
- Mikel Urdangarin: “Izurdeen lekua”. Principal Theater. July 23rd.
Basque culture to enjoy in San Sebastian and Hernani in July 2021
- Exhibition “Alaïa & Balenciaga. Sculptors of the form”. More than 100 works by both creators – Azzedine Alaïa (1935-2017) and Cristóbal Balenciaga (1895-1972) – belonging to the collections of the Azzedine Alaïa Foundation in Paris. Tenth anniversary of the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. From April 30th until October 31st. In Getaria.
- Exhibition: Hondalea (Sea Abyss). Inspired by the remarkable geology of the Basque coast, Cristina Iglesias has transformed the interior of the Casa del Faro on the island of Santa Clara, restoring it and turning it into a breathtaking sculptural environment. From June 3rd to September 29th.
- Horse races. Racecourse. Different dates from June to September 5th.
- Exhibition: “The longest trip. The first round the world”. In commemoration of the first circumnavigation of the earth by Magellan and Elcano. San Telmo Museum. From June 26th to October 24th.
- 56th Jazzaldia (International Jazz Festival) from July 21st until 25th.
- Cider Day. Try local cider and enjoy local craftsman and Basque traditional sports in this town near San Sebastian. July 22nd. In Astigarraga.
- La Pastorale. Ludwig van Beethoven’s 6th Symphony, also known as the Pastoral Symphony, conveys the composer’s passionate love for nature. Malandain Ballet Biarritz. From July 29th to August 1st.
- St Ignatius Loiola Festival. Local music, food, drink and festivals. From July 30th to August 2nd. In Azpeitia, Biscay & Gipuzkoa.
- Chillida-Leku Museum Program. In Hernani.
- Tàpies in Zabalaga. Exhibition focused on the large-format sculptures of the Catalan artist. Free guided tour from June 12th to September 30th. From June 10th, 2021 to January 10th, 2022.
- Lina and Raül Refree in concert. Lina, a classically trained fado singer, two albums on Sony Music and an expert on Amália Rodrigues. Summer program. July 10th.
- Cécile McLorian Salvant in concert. One of the best voices in Jazz today. Jazzaldia Festival. Sullivan Fortner (piano). July 18th.
- Marc Ribot, Ceramic Dog: “Hope” in concert. Jazzaldia Festival. One of the most inventive and creative guitarists today. Museum. July 24th.
- Opera garage: La Bohème by Puccini. July 29th.
- Paco Ibáñez in concert. “Vivencias” a journey through the songs that have marked his artistic career and his life. July 30th.
- The Jayhawks in concert. Minneapolis Group. Summer program. July 8th.
- Xoel López in concert. One of the most reliable and representative artists of the Ibero-American independent scene. July 31st.
Basque culture in Biarritz
- Exhibition – Event Jackie and the Kennedys. 164 large format prints, captioned by an anecdote, often unpublished. Public Garden, Grande Plage, Square d’Ixelles, Côte des Basques, Golf le Phare. From April 5th to September 5th.
- Orchestral Ensemble of Biarritz. Concert “Symphonic Reunion”. Works by Brahms, Dvorak, Prokofiev, Guridi, Sibélius, Barber, Fucik, Katchatourian… Gare Du Midi Teather. July 1st.
- 17th. International Surf Film Festival. Promote creativity and the artistic side of surf movies. Chambre d’Amour. From July 5th until 8th. In Anglet.
- Basque Ball at Cesta Punta – Golden Glove. Fronton Euskal Jaï Aguilera. From July 7th until August 23rd.
- Madrid Choir And Symphony Orchestra. Traditional Basque songs. Church of Sainte Eugénie. July 8th.
- Basque Ball in Grand Chistera. Mazon Park. July 8th, 14th, 15th, 22nd and 29th.
- Art Shopping Biarritz. International Contemporary Art Fair. Municipal Casino. From July 10th to 12th.
- Golf: Prix Thalasso Spa. Hélianthal Thalazur. 1st round on July 10th in Chantaco. 2nd round on July 11th at La Nivelle. In Saint Jean de Luz.
- Oldara Choir. Men´s choir. They interpret, a cappella, polyphonic works, both religious and secular. Basque works and works from around the world. Eglise Sainte Eugénie. July 12th and 26th.
- Lutxi Nesprias – Shubert, Rachmaninoff. Piano recital. Hotel du Palais. July 16th.
- 12th Biarritz Piano Festival: Opening – Thomas Enhco & Vassilena Serafimova. Gare du Midi Theater. From July 22nd to August 13th.
- Summer table tennis tournaments. Les Goélands de Biarritz organize summer tournaments open to licensed players and the leisure public, adults and children. Dagorette room. Every Friday in July and August (except Friday August 13th).
In our personalized tours you can also ask us and receive information about the best Basque Culture highlights available during your stay in Basque Country in July 2021.
Contact us for any information about our private tours by clicking here.