I share with you the selection of Basque culture events, its traditions or our rural and current sports, that I will love to enjoy in the company of my family and friends in the month of January 2023.
The clients of Aitor Delgado Tours also receive this information in a personalized way in their tours. I suggest only the Basque culture activities for the month of January 2023 that I am sure would fit into your travel plan and interests.
Basque cultural activities in Bilbao and Biscay in January 2023
- Gabonart – Bilbao Craft Fair. Ceramics, costume jewellery, toys, leather, wood carving, textiles… attended by artisans. Demonstrations of trades, workshops and many more surprises. Arenal pier. From December 16th to January 5th, 2023.
- “Gala Bilbao is Ballet”. Marlon Dino, principal dancer at the Munich Opera, and Andoni Larrabeiti, a professional Basque dancer, choreographer and teacher. Other dancers and ballet schools. Euskalduna Palace, January 3rd, 2023.
- Fito & Fitipaldis Tour. Format theaters and auditoriums 2023. Songs from their latest album “Cada vez cadaver” and the band’s classics. Euskalduna Palace, January 5th and 6th.
- Tribute to a night of Sabina. Pablo Perea, Dani Flaco and Caco Senante. The greatest of Sabina in the voices of 3 singers and magnificent composers. Campos Eliseos Theatre. January 8th, 2023.
- Tribute to the musician Felip Pedrell i Sabaté. Claiming the legacy of the great musicologist and composer, teacher of Albéniz, Granados or Falla, among others. Arriaga Theater. January 17th, 2023.
- Ballet du Grand Theater de Genève. The current vision of a mythical piece like Fauno and a world premiere: Ukiyo-e. Choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. Arriaga Theater. January 20th and 21st, 2023.
- Sections / Intersections. 25 years of the Guggenheim Bilbao Museum Collection. The 3 parts that make it up: Material Life, in gallery 105; Unfolding narratives, on the second floor; and Marking history, in the third. Until January 22nd, 2023.
- Rubens sketches at the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. Works on loan from the Musée Bonnat-Helleu in Bayonne. Seven sketches inspired by Ovid’s Metamorphoses make up the exhibition. Until January 22nd, 2023.
- Works from the Guggenheim Bilbao Museum Collection. Selection of pieces of figures who work at the forefront of their time, whose contributions were truly defining. From January 24th to December 31st, 2023.
- Shen Yun 2023. Shen Yun Performing Arts, a premier classical Chinese dance and music company, based in New York. Euskalduna Palace, January 29th.
- Joan Miro. The absolute reality. Paris, 1920–1945. In the search to recover the ordinary spiritual sense of him. Guggenheim Museum Bilbao. From February 10th to May 25th, 2023.
Basque culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in January 2023
- Daniel Zuloaga (1852-1921). Exhibition of the work of the renowned ceramist. Álava Museum of Fine Arts. From May 15th, 2022 to January 15th, 2023.
- “Black Place” by Jutta Koether. First monographic exhibition in Spain of the German painter in the more than 30 years of her work. Museum of Contemporary Art of the Basque Country. From October 28th, 2022 to April 16th, 2023.
- Cartoon exhibition ‘Ya te digo’. Humorist and graphic designer Iñaki Cerrajería. Montehermoso Palace. From December 2nd, 2022 to January 22nd, 2023.
- Monumental nativity scenes of Florida Park. More than 50 years of history, with more than 200 life-size figures. Other traditional nativity scenes such as those of the Colegio Sagrado Corazón, the one in the Casa del Cordón, the nativity scenes of the Villa-Suso Palace or those of the Álava Nativity Scene Association. From December 3rd to January 6th.
- Christmas Ice Rink in Vitoria-Gasteiz. More than 600 square meters of track and a 30-meter long slide, both outdoors. Florida Park. From December 16th, 2022 to January 8th, 2023.
- Articulated nativity scene in Laguardia. Baroque nativity scene endowed with movement. 73 pieces in Rococo style. Church of Santa María de los Reyes. Representations: December 25th, January 1st and 6th, and February 6th.
- Alos Quartet and Friends of the Basque Country and more. Aitzina Folk – Vitoria-Gasteiz Solidarity Folk Music Festival. Aitzina Association, a support group for those affected by ataxia-telangiectasia. Principal Theater. January 4th, 2023.
- Izaro in concert. “Golden Lemons”. Own songs, friends and two new ones. Principal Theater. January 7th, 2023.
- Concert of the Ondas de Jazz cycle: Tord Gustavsen Trio. Jesus Guridi Conservatory. January 10th.
- ‘Cardinal points’. Music that combines differences and cultural similarities. Concert by the Municipal Music Band. Principal Theatre. January 25th, 2023.
Enjoy Basque culture in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19th, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Zero gravity. An exhibition of works with which Eduardo Chillida explored the phenomenon of gravity and the fight against it. Chilllida-Leku Museum. From November 24th, 2022 to May 1st, 2023.
- Christmas in San Sebastian. Show of lights and music, with laser beams from the Island of Santa Clara. Kursaal Christmas Children’s Park. Craft fair and the Ferris wheel of San Sebastian. San Sebastian Christmas Market. Planetarium in Alderdi Eder. From November 30th, 2022 to January 8th, 2023.
- Abba Tribute. Tribute concert to the Swedish quartet that tries to capture and convey the essence and style of the musical group. A perfect way to relive that time. Kursaal Palace. January 3rd, 2023.
- Benito Lertxundi in concert. Basque singer-songwriter. Ospakizun gauean and his usual songs. Kursaal Auditorium. January 6th.
- New Cider Day 2023. XXX Sagardo Berriaren Eguna 2023. Act to start the new season of txotx 2023 where the characteristics of the 2022 harvest, the new cider and the most important events in the world of cider will be presented. In Astigarraga. January 11th.
- Famous Opera Arias and Choruses – Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Choirs, arias, duets and quartets from Verdi’s great operas. Kursaal Auditorium. January 12th.
- Mahler Chamber Orchestra and Mitsuko Uchida, one of the greatest Mozart interpreters of our time. Kursaal Auditorium. January 13th.
- Drumming of San Sebastian. Festivity of the patron saint of the city, San Sebastián, to the rhythm of barrels and drums. It is also carried out in Azpeitia. January 19th and 20th.
- Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana and Beethoven’s 9th Symphony – Ukrainian State Symphony Orchestra and Chorus. Kursaal Auditorium. January 20th.
- Hegalak, Basque notes for piano and dance. Iker Murillo, Josu Okiñena and Vitali Safronkine. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. January 21st.
- Winterreise Winter Journey D. 911, Franz Schubert. Frederic Jost, baritone. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. January 22nd, 2023.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in January 2023.