You can complement your leisure by enjoying some culture or sports activities in February 2022, during your visit or stay in any Basque province.
I have selected for you the Basque Culture events in February 2022 that I believe make you understand and know the locals better.
It is very likely that the events have some adjustment due to the Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Basque Culture events in Bilbao and Biscay in February 2022
- Alice Neel: “People first.” A “collector of souls”. Bilbao Museum Guggenheim. From September 17th to February 6th.
- “Guernica” by Agustín Ibarrola. This new acquisition is an emblematic work of Basque art and of the painter’s production, and it was also one of the most significant episodes in the museum’s recent history. Museum of Fine Arts of Bilbao. From October 18th until March 27th.
- Women of abstraction. Contribution of women artists to abstraction. Exhibition that comes from the Center Pompidou in Paris. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From October 22nd to February 27th.
- The Arrue brothers in Paris. 2 large-format paintings of Basque prints awarded in Paris. Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From November 16th to March 27th.
- Candlelight. Classical music concerts by candlelight. Church of the Incarnation. From January 22nd to March 19th. In Bilbao.
- Tina Turner Tribute “Typically Tina”. Kursaal Auditorium. February 6th. In Bilbao.
- Magicians. Bilbao International festival of illusionism. With 7 of the most representative illusionists worldwide. Champs Elysées Theatre. February 11th and 12th.
- Exhibition: “From Fauvism to Surrealism: 70 masterpieces from the Musée d’Art Moderne de Paris (MAM)”. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 11th until May 22nd.
- Concert by Mikel Erentxun “Amigos de Guardia“. In this album, he reviews 35 years of musical career, starting from the first recordings with Duncan Dhu in 1985 until today. Cafe Antzokia. February 18th.
- Shen Yun 2022. Shen Yun Performing Arts. The lost world of traditional Chinese culture. Kursaal Auditorium. February 22nd and 23rd.
- Exhibition: “Jean Dubuffet: Fervent Celebration”. Made up of funds from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 25th until August 21st.
- XIV Japan Weekend. The largest pop culture event in Spain. Bilbao Exhibition Centre. February 26th.
- Concert by Mikel Erentxun “Friends of the Guard”. In this album, he reviews 35 years of musical career, starting from the first recordings with Duncan Dhu in 1985 until today. Kursaal Auditorium. February 27th.
Basque Culture activities in San Sebastian, Gipuzkoa & French Basque Country
- Balenciaga: the elegance of the hat. Exhibition resulting from a joint investigation of the collections of hats of the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum and the Museu del Disseny de Barcelona. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. October 29th to May 8th, 2022. In Getaria.
- Transmissions. Selection of works from the museum’s educational project with international fashion design schools seeking: the introduction of new and revolutionary silhouettes. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. From December 3rd until February 7th, 2022. In Getaria.
- Walk between sculptures as if through a forest. Permanent exhibition of Chillida’s work. Chillida-Leku Museum. From February to December. In Hernani.
- Start of the season of the Basque Cider. Around January 15th. The main area in the Basque Country is in Astigarraga (near San Sebastián). There are some 51 Basque cider houses in Guipúzcoa, 10 in Vizcaya and 2 in Alava. The cider season begins on January 12th and runs until the end of April. In Astigarraga.
- The party of the boilermakers. Several groups emulate the Hungarian Zingaros who arrived in the city to sell their products during the Carnivals. It is a peculiar way of announcing carnivals. February 5th. In San Sebastian, Anoeta, Astigarraga, Irun or Tolosa.
- CAR/MEN. Chicos Mambo company. Bizet’s work is revisited by eight dancers and a virtuoso singer who, with fantasy, tenderness and derision, play with the masculine and the feminine. Choreographer Philippe Lafeuille. Gare du Midi Theater. February 18th. In Biarritz.
- Swedish String Quartet. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. February 20th. In San Sebastián.
- Mosaics. Choreography Julien Lestel, with dancers from Alexandra Cardinale’s company. Expresses our wish for a world which does not tend towards the standardization of individuals but which, on the contrary, recognizes the richness of its multiplicity. Municipal Casino. February 27th. In Biarritz.
Enjoy Basque Culture in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in February 2022
- XVIII International Cycle of Contemporary Music. Bernaola Festival is an important cultural event whose objective is to spread the diversity of the music of the 21st century. Different places in the city: Artium, Jesús Guridi Conservatory of Music… From October 16th to February 5th, 2022. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- A place to think. Schools and experimental educational art practices in the Basque Country, 1957-1979. Collaboration with the Jorge Oteiza Museum Foundation. Artium Museo – Contemporary Art Museum of the Basque Country. From January 21st to June 5th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Articulated nativity scene. One of the few baroque nativity scenes with movement that are preserved today. Set of 73 pieces of which most are Rococo style. Church of Santa Maria de los Reyes. From December 1st until February 6th. In Laguardia.
- Feast of Saint Agatha. Traditional rounds singing couplets in honor of the martyrdom and death of the saint in the neighborhoods, accompanied by the sounds produced by rods and canes that hit the ground to the rhythm of the couplet. February 4th and 5th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Truffle Fair. V Fair of truffles and artisan products related to it. Live cooking and contests. February 6th. In Rivabellosa.
- Big bolero. A stubborn dance about the transition between enjoyment and exhaustion, a dance to celebrate the time and space we share; the intense and the fleeting, the pulse and the calm. Max 2020 Award for best Dance Theater show. February 12th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Uztaberri Eguna. Presentation of the new harvest. Guided visits to wineries. Exhibition and tasting of products related to wine. Work from before and now in the vineyard. February 12th. In Lapuebla de Labarca.
- Eñaut and Idoia with symphony orchestra. Cycle of great concerts. Main Theater. February 19th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Bernstein+Zhou. Euskadiko Orkestra: Basque Country Symphony Orchestra. Main Theater. February 21st. In Vitoria-Gasteiz.
- Carnival Celebrations: Vitoria-Gasteiz, Santa Cruz de Campezo, Zalduondo, Agurain, Salcedo and Laudio. From February 21st until March 1st.
You can also ask us about Basque Culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying any of our personalized and private excursions in February 2022.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us by clicking here.
Leave A Comment