You can complement your leisure by enjoying some culture or sports activities in December 2021, during your visit or stay in any Basque province.
I have selected for you the Basque Culture events in December 2021 that I believe make you understand and know the locals better.
It is very likely that the events have some adjustment due to the Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Basque Culture activities in Bilbao
- Exhibition “Ibarrola in the estuary, water, iron, fire and air”. Exhibition by the Basque Agustín Ibarrola (Basauri, 1930) with 17 large-format oil paintings and 20 drawings on maritime and industrial themes of the Bilbao Estuary. From May 11th until January 31st, 2022.
- The line of wit. Selection of works from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao’s Own Collection whose common features are humor, wit and experimentation. From June 11th until January 16th.
- Alice Neel: “People first.” A “collector of souls”. Bilbao Museum Guggenheim. From September 17th to February 6th.
- ABC: The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. Exhibition for its 110 years of inauguration. Museum of Fine Arts. From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2021.
- “Guernica” by Agustín Ibarrola. This new acquisition is an emblematic work of Basque art and of the painter’s production, and it was also one of the most significant episodes in the museum’s recent history. Museum of Fine Arts of BIlbao. From October 18th until March 27th.
- Women of abstraction. Contribution of women artists to abstraction. Exhibition that comes from the Center Pompidou in Paris. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From October 22nd to February 27th.
- Punta Galea Challenge. Surf Party. The only test in Europe of the 7 of the prestigious World Circuit of Big Waves of Surf, Big Wave Tour. From November 1st to March 31st. In Getxo.
- Traditional nativity scenes. The Church of San Nicolás, the Cathedral of Santiago, the Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art, the Mercado de la Ribera, the Basque Museum and the Bilbao Maritime Museum show the public more than 50 nativity scenes composed of almost 800 handmade figures. From December 1st until January 7th.
- Nativity scenes from around the world exhibition. 13 traditional nativity scenes of different formats and styles. Museum of Steps. From December 1st until January 7th.
- 56th Durangoko Azoka – Basque Book and Record Fair. Talks, exhibitions, conferences and various activities related to mountains, adventure and extreme sports. On-line: from December 3rd to 7th. Face-to-face: from December 4th to 8th. In Durango.
- BBK Mendi Film Festival Bilbao-Bizkaia. Talks, exhibitions, conferences and various activities related to mountains, adventure and extreme sports. Sala BBK. From December 3th to 12th.
- Eduardo Chillida, Reflections / Anthony Caro, Open Secret: A dialog. Museum of Fine Arts. From November 4th to January 30th.
- Chamber concert with Josu de Solaun and Jesus Reina. Muxikebarri (Sala Ereaga). December 10th. In Gexto.
- Antoine: The musical. A musical theater work that reveals the life of the author of The Little Prince. Max Award for the best revelation show 2021. Euskalduna Palace. December 10th and 11th.
- Fun & Serious Game Festival. Congress and Awards Ceremony Gala, the most outstanding video games of the year will compete again. Bilbao Exhibition Center. From December 10th to 12th. In Barakaldo.
- GABONART. Christmas Craft Fair. Exhibition and sale of craft products. From December 10th until January 9th, 2021.
- Concert: Wim Mertens. Prolific Belgian composer, pianist and singer. Muxikebarri (Sala Ereaga). December 12th. In Gexto.
- San Ygnacio Project. New York-based Texas double bass player Marcos Varela is among the musicians in one of the most respected musicians on the American and international jazz scene. Arriaga Theater. December 14th.
- Philippe Jaroussky and Thibaut Garcia. Jaroussky’s unmatched vocal beauty paired with Garcia’s guitar majesty. Arriaga Theater. December 16th.
- The Christmas rounds of Marijeses. Since the sixteenth century. A pre-Christmas traditions. They begin on December 16, nine in the morning before usual. The songs begin at four in the morning and for about two hours the night is filled with gentle melodies. Church of Santa Maria. From December 16th to 24th. In Guernica.
- Zarzuela: Luisa Fernanda. Coral Mass of the Ensanche. Campos Eliseos Theater. December 17th, 18th and 19th.
- Candlelight by Campari Tonic. Exclusive concert recalling the most iconic songs in the history of cinema, gathered under an intimate atmosphere by candlelight. Bizkaia Arena, Bilbao Exhibition Center. December 18th. In Barakaldo.
- Christmas Children’s Park. Bilbao Exhibition Center. From December 18th to January 8th. In Barakaldo.
- “Elur malutak”. Bilbao municipal txistularis band. Christmas concert with the choirs “Ahotsak” and “Ensemble Lux” from Bilbao Musika. Euskalduna Palace. December 20th.
- Agricultural fair. Saint Thomas Fair. Exhibition and contest of products of the hamlet. Arenal. December 21st and 22nd.
- Christmas Children’s Park. Bilbao Exhibition Centre. From December 21st to January 5th.
- Pasión Vega & Sociedad Choral de Bilbao: “Misa Criolla“. Centenary of the birth of Ariel Ramírez. Euskalduna Palace. December 23rd.
- Ice rink and slide. The ecological ice skating rink will have 800 square meters, in the Arenal Pier. The large slide has 6 lanes of movement, at the Ripa Pier. From November 25th to January 6th.
- The Nutcracker, by Tchaikovsky, with the original choreography by Lev Ivanov. Royal Russian Ballet. Euskalduna Palace. December 26th.
- “Posts”. Miguel Ángel Gea one of the most recognized magicians with coins. II International Magic Festival up close. Euskalduna Palace. December 27th and 28th.
- “Art, temperance and duende”. Magician Juan Luis Rubiales, national champion. II International Magic Festival up close. Euskalduna Palace. December 29th and 30th.
- Ramón Gil Memorial New Year’s Eve Circuit, the oldest San Silvestre Carrer in Spain. 1.1 kilometer street circuit and has 7 categories. December 31st.
Basque Culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in December 2021
- Expo: Basque artistic and cultural practices from 1977 to 2002. Artium Center. From February 8th to December.
- Expo: Bigarren bidea (Second way). Basque women’s artists from 1977 to date. Artium Center. From March 5th to December.
- Playing cards women producers: A living memory. The work carried out by these women stands out. Museo Fournier de Naipes de Álava. From March 24th until January 31st, 2022.
- Izaro. Exhibition that addresses the intrahistory of the sculpture Izaro by Néstor Basterretxea. 40th anniversary of the creation of the Basque Parliament. Organized by the Basque Parliament and the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum. From March 29th to December 31st.
- The relics of Martioda. A restored treasure. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. From May 28th until January 16th, 2022.
- Articulated nativity scene. One of the few baroque nativity scenes with movement that are preserved today. Set of 73 pieces of which most are Rococo style. Church of Santa Maria de los Reyes. From December 1st until February 7th. In Laguardia.
- Mazoka – Drawing and Illustration Market. Creative works of technical and artistic quality that expose new values in this field, on a national or international level. Open virtual platform from November 26th to December 26th. Live fair. Old Water Deposit, of the Montehermoso Cultural Center. From December 3rd to 19th.
- Belen Monumental. Popular tradition since 1962. Composed of more than 200 human figures, buildings and hundreds of animals and accessories. Florida Park. From December 3rd until January 6th, 2022.
- Tantai 2021. Bonsai art in the Basque Country. Álava Bonsai Association – Arabako Bonsai Elkartea. Europe Conference and Exhibition Center. From December 4th to 6th.
- Ardoaraba: Wine Fair. Route of bars and presentations of pintxos and wine tasting of Rioja Alavesa. The shops on the street will be from December 4th until 8th. Cancelled.
- Lan Ta Lan Fair. Crafts Fair. Province Square. From December 12th to January 5th, 2022.
- Christmas Farmers’ and Craft Market. Exhibition, sale and tasting of agricultural and livestock products mainly from Alava producers. Contest and exhibition of birds. Independence Street and Celedones de Oro Place (handi-craft); and Santa Barbara Square (farmers). From December 13th until January 6th, 2022.
- Candle Night. On Friday before Christmas Eve the fire announces the arrival of Christmas. More than 15,000 candles decorate the streets and main squares: Matxete Square, The Arquillos, Saint Miguel Balcony, Burullería Square… December 17th.
- La Polla Records: Special farewell concert. Tour 2021: Neither rest, nor peace. Iradier Arena. December 17th and 18th.
- Slides and ice skating in the Virgen Blanca Square. From December 17th until January 9th. From 10 in the morning to 8 at night.
- Half marathon. Sunday, December 19th.
- Concert of the Municipal Band of Music ‘In perpetuum’. Antzokia Principal Theater. December 22nd.
- Christmas farm market. Exhibition, sale and tasting of agricultural and livestock products from Alava. Competition and exhibition of birds. December 23rd.
- The Olentzero and Mary Domingi Cavalcade is celebrated on December 23rd and 24th. In Vitoria-Gasteiz, Bilbao and San Sebastian.
- Agricultural and crafts fair. Christmas market. Exhibition and sale of homemade products: honey, cheese, txakoli, etc…. December 24th. In Amurio.
- Magialdia presents: Smiles, by Mag Edgard. Antzokia Principal Theater. December 26th.
- Christmas Children’s Park. Centro Cívico Hegoalde. From December 26th to January 5th.
- Carlos Núñez – To Irmandade das Estrelas. Our most international piper invites us to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of his first album. Antzokia Principal Theater. December 27th.
- 150 gr. Performing Arts Festival in the market 2021. Short pieces of theater, clown, dance, puppetry or cabaret, which are offered continuously throughout the day in consecutive passes. Gorbeia-Zaldiaran Market. From December 28th to 30th.
- Currents. Mayumaná. An explosive cocktail of rhythm, dance, lights, music and humor. A unique visual and listening experience. Antzokia Principal Theater. December 29th and 30th.
- San Silvestre Career. Tour the city center on the afternoon of the last day of the year: December 31st.
Enjoy Basque Culture in San Sebastian and Gipuzkoa in December 2021
- Travel on the steam train. The Basque Railway Museum presents one of the best railway collections in Europe, with locomotives of all kinds, wagons, clocks as well as perfectly restored and in-use historical electrical installations. From March 31st until November 1st. In Azpeitia.
- Tàpies in Zabalaga. Exhibition focused on the large-format sculptures of the Catalan artist. Chillida Leku Museum. Free guided tour from June 12th to September 30th. From June 10th, 2021 to January 10th, 2022. In Hernani.
- 24 hours: a day in Victoria. Details of life aboard the nao Victoria, in the first round the world. Basque Maritime Museum. From June 25th until January 9th, 2022.
- Balenciaga: the elegance of the hat. Exhibition resulting from a joint investigation of the collections of hats of the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum and the Museu del Disseny de Barcelona. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. October 29th to May 8th, 2022. In Getaria.
- The visit to the Olentzero. He is a character in Basque Christmas tradition. Excursion that begins in the Museum of the Basque Iron, then by the park of Mirandaola, in search of Olentzero and ends in the ironworks of Mirandaola. From November 2nd until December 23rd. In Mirandaola / Legazpi.
- Musical short film festival. Cinematographic projects in short film format with music as the main axis. Live music, DJs, vinyl and DVD fair or live radio among other parallel activities. Casa del Mar. From December 3rd to 5th. In Hondarribia.
- Transmissions. Selection of works from the museum’s educational project with international fashion design schools seeking: the introduction of new and revolutionary silhouettes. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. From December 3rd until February 7th, 2022. In Getaria.
- Ice rink. Campaign: “Irun, capital of your Christmas.” 1,000 m2 outside of Ficoba. From December 10th to January 16th. In Irun.
- Basque Country Orchestra: Ginastera (concert for harp) and Shostakovich. Kursaal Auditorium. December 9th and 10th.
- Christmas Market. The Buen Pastor Cathedral Square and the Urumea riverside walk. Inspired by Centraleurope Christmas Markets, this Christmas Fair has a wide commercial offer, leisure space, its activities program…. From December 10th until January 9th.
- Christmas benefit concert. Navarra Symphony Orchestra and the Orfeón Donostiarra. Kursaal Auditorium. December 16th.
- “Chillida Leku: from and towards the windows, the sculptures in confluence, in Zabalaga“. Singer Imanol Portilla presents his book on and in Chillida Leku. December 18th. In Hernani.
- Christmas Fair. XXIII edition. Sale and exhibition of different products. Black pudding contest. December 18th. In Tolosa.
- La Traviata by Verdi. Santa Cecilia Classical Orchestra and Excelentia Vocal Ensemble. Kursaal Auditorium. December 19th.
- Feast of St. Thomas. Popular festival with gastronomy, Basque sports, traditional music… waiting for Christmas. December 21st and 22nd. In San Sebastian, Azpeitia, Errenteria, Irun, Hondarribia, Usurbil, Arrasate/Mondragón, Mutriko, Tolosa and Lekeitio.
- Christmas Children’s Park. Kursaal. From December 22nd to January 4th.
- The Nutcracker, by Tchaikovsky, with the original choreography by Lev Ivanov. Royal Russian Ballet. Kursaal Auditorium. December 27th.
- Super Amara Christmas Solidarity Concert. Van Gogh’s Ear. Kursaal Auditorium. December 28th.
- Alabama Gospel Choir. 13 time in Spain: Kursaal Auditorium. December 30th.
- San Silvestre Career. Antiguo Neighborhood (exit) / Easo Place (goal). 8,650 meters by the Antiguo, Gros, Center and Amara. December 31st.
Basque Culture in Bayonne and French Basque Country in December 2021
- Biarritz in the spotlight. Biarritz is adorned with light with illuminations of emblematic buildings and sites, installations and other luminous decorations. Public Garden – Ocean walk Rocher du Basta and Rocher de la Vierge – Biarritz Aquarium – Port Vieux – Place Balea – Municipal Casino and Town Hall. From November 26th to January 2nd.
- Christmas in Saint-Jean-de-Luz. Downtown. From November 26th until January 2nd, 2022.
- Christmas market. Approximately forty artisans, songs, music, presentations, creative workshop for children… Cinq Cantons Square. December all month. In Anglet.
- Noël 2021. Local events throughout the city. From December 3rd to January 2nd. In Bayonne.
- Pintxos and Pote in the Port Vieux district. At the initiative of this event: La Humade, Le Barbu, Cristal Kfé, Georges VI, Chez Miguel, Bar Basque, Glouby, Ventilo, Palmarium. Old Port. December 9th, 16th, 23rd and 30th; and January 6th. In Biarritz.
- Rugby PRO D2: Aviron Bayonnais receives Montauban. Jean Dauger Stadium. December 10th. In Bayonne.
- Concert with Christmas carols and big organs. With Raphaël Tambyeff (organ) and Philippe Barret (vocals). Saint Joseph Church. December 18th. In Biarritz.
- FestiOrgues 2021: Christmas concert. Church of Saint John the Baptist. December 19th. In Saint Jean de Luz.
- L’Oiseau de feu et Le Sacre du printemps by Stravinski. Center Chorégraphique National Malandain Ballet Biarritz. Gare du Midi. December 22nd, 23rd, 25th and 26th. In Biarritz.
- Rugby Top 14. The Biarritz Olympique Pays Basque welcomes the Montpellier Hérault Rugby team at the Stade d’Aguiléra. Aguilera Sports Park. December 27th. In Biarritz.
- Le Grand Cabaret de la Saint Sylvestre – Around the World. Anna Smïle & Cie. More than 20 artists (singers, singers, dancers, dancers, acrobats …) take us on a real trip around the world among the most beautiful destinations: Brazil, India, Russia, Germany, Asia, Latin America, South Africa, United States United, Orient, Tahiti … Gare du Midi. December 31st. In Biarritz.
You can also ask us about Basque Culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying any of our personalized and private tours in December 2021.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private Basque tours, you can contact us by clicking here.
Leave A Comment