You can complement your leisure time by enjoying the Basque culture, its traditions and sports activities in August 2022, during your visit or stay in any province of the Basque Country.
I have selected for you the Basque culture events of August 2022 that I think will make you understand and get to know the locals better.
Some events may still have requirements to comply with Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Basque cultural activities in San Sebastián and Guipúzcoa
- Walk through a forest of sculptures. Permanent exhibition of Chillida’s work. Chillida-Leku Museum. From February to December 2022. In Hernani.
- Balenciaga: character. It explores a new perspective of his work, never traveled before, and focused on what makes “a Balenciaga” recognizable. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. March 19th, 2022 to March 1st, 2023. In Getaria.
- Dialogue in the 50s and 60s. Exhibition by Jorge Oteiza and Eduardo Chillida. Performance by Kukai Dantza Taldea on May 14th. San Telmo Museum. From April 9th to October 2nd.
- Miró in Zabalaga exhibition.The Chillida Leku Museum presents an exhibition of Joan Miró as a guest artist in 2022. From May 21st to November 1st. in Hernani.
- Exhibition “Tom Kublin for Balenciaga. An unusual collaboration” It deepens and highlights the professional relationship between Cristóbal Balenciaga and photographer Tom Kublin for more than two decades. Collaboration of the Balenciaga Archives in Paris, the Swiss National Museum and the Zurich Design Museum. Cristobal Balenciaga Museum. From June 10th to October 16th.
- Eusko Label Traineras League. In Donostia – San Sebastian / Hondarribia / Orio / Zarautz / Zumaia. From July 1st to September 30th.
- Musical Fortnight of San Sebastian. Since 1939 it offers shows and concerts. Opera, ballet, symphony orchestras, small chamber groups, romantic organ, choirs, children’s shows,… From August 2nd to 27th.
- Big Week of San Sebastian. Popular festivals. Music, Basque sports, gastronomy…International Fireworks Competition. From August 13th to 20th.
- The Spell of the Butterfly by Federico García Lorca. Flamenco Ballet of Andalusia. Victoria Eugenia Theatre. August 17th.
- Commemoration of August 31st. The people of San Sebastian remember the fire that devastated the city in 1813, during the War of Independence. Multitude of activities throughout San Sebastian. August 31st.
Basque culture events in Bilbao and Bizkaia in August 2022
- 25th Anniversary of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. Extensive program of exhibitions and shows of music, dance, lights, choirs and recitals. From February 7th, 2022 to December 31st.
- Exhibition: “Jean Dubuffet: Fervent Celebration”. Comprised of holdings from the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York and the Peggy Guggenheim Collection in Venice. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From February 25th to August 21st.
- Exhibition: Movement. Cars, Art, Architecture. The relevance of the automobile in relation to the history of art and design of the last century. Norman Foster Foundation. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From April 8th to September 18th.
- Exhibition “Surfing Euskadi”. Tour through the history of surfing in the Basque Country. Conferences and round tables, meetings with professionals from the sector, guided tours and children’s workshops, among others. Basque Maritime Museum of Bilbao. From May 11th to October 30th.
- Temporary exhibition “Elkano. Navigation and science”. Tour of the existing navigation techniques at the beginning of the 16th century used by Juan Sebastián Elkano and his crew to complete the first circumnavigation of the world. Balbao Basque Maritime Museum. From May 20th to October 30th.
- “Serra/Seurat. Drawings“. Richard Serra (1938) said that the drawing of the French creator Georges Seurat is perhaps the most outstanding aspect of his work. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From June 9th to September 6th.
- Eusko Label Traineras League. A trainera is a traditional boat in the Biscay Bay, northern Spain, currently propelled by oars. Bermeo / Bilbao / Getxo / Pasaia / Portugalete. From July 1st to September 30th.
- Art&Music Km0. Cycle of live jazz concerts- Terrace of the bar of the Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. Every Wednesday in July and August at sunset (8pm).
- The Cage of Madwomen (La Cage aux folles) by French playwright Jean Poiret. Great music show. Arriaga Theatre. From August 18th to September 11th.
- Big Week in Bilbao. Aste Nagusia. Bilbao popular festivals. More than 100 recreational and cultural activities. From August 20th to 28th.
Enjoy Basque culture in Vitoria-Gasteiz and Alava in August 2022
- Daniel Zuloaga (1852-1921), potter. Sample of his pieces accompanied by two oil paintings: “Men of Segovia” by Pablo Uranga from Alava and his portrait of Elías Salaverría. Alava Museum of Fine Arts. From May 18th to November 20th.
- The peripeteia of the automaton. Exhibition dedicated to the work of Néstor Sanmiguel Diest (Zaragoza, 1949). Curatorial project in two simultaneous exhibitions: in the Palacio de Velázquez of the Reina Sofía Museum in Madrid and in the Contemporary Art of the Basque Country Museum – Artium Museoa in Vitoria-Gasteiz. From June 24th to November 1st.
- José Ibarrola exhibition “Look around”. Water Tank of the Montehermoso Cultural Center. From June 24th to September 11th, 2022. Guided tour by the artist on August 25th.
- Virgen Blanca Couples Championship. Frontón of the Plaza de los Fueros (in case of rain in the Frontón Ogueta). Alava Federation of Basque Pelota. From August 1st to 3rd.
- Celebrations of the White Virgin. Popular festivals with an excellent musical and theatrical offer. Gastronomy, crafts, fireworks,… From August 4th to 9th.
- Rioja Alavesa Sphere Festival 2022. Music, gastronomy, art and land. From August 18th to 21st. In Laguardia, Samaniego, Lapuebla de Labarca, Elciego, Villanueva de Álava and Elvillar.
- XV International Music Festival of Vitoria-Gasteiz 2022. Basque cultural festival with classes and musical performances. From August 16th to 24th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying one of our personalized and private tours in August 2022.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our luxury private tours, you can contact us.
Leave A Comment