You can complement your leisure by enjoying some cultural or sports activities in August 2021, during your visit or stay in any Basque province.
I have selected for you the Basque culture events in August 2021 that I believe make you understand and know the locals better.
It is very likely that the events have some adjustment due to the Covid-19 regulations. I did not forget it.
Basque culture events in Vitoria-Gasteiz in August 2021
- The relics of Martioda. A restored treasure. Museum of Fine Arts of Álava. From May 28th to January 16th, 2022.
- Playing cards – women producers: a living memory. The work done by these women stands out. Museo Fournier de Naipes de Álava. From March 24th to January 31st, 2022.
- XXXV Festival of the Organ of Álava. Several churches. In Vitoria-Gasteiz, Ibarra, Moreda de Álava, Salvatierra, Villanueva de Álava. From July 8th to August 6th.
- Theater: All the killers. Actors: Carlos Sobera and Neus Asensi. Principal Theater. From August 4th to 6th.
- Classical Music Cycle, in collaboration with the San Sebastián Musical Fortnight. In Vitoria-Gasteiz and several towns in Álava. From August 8th to 27th.
- XVI Festival of the Moon. San Lorenzo’s Day. Night walk where they will hear legends and stories. Botanical Garden of Santa Catalina. August 10th. In Iruña de Oca.
- XIV International Music Festival / Course. It will have teachers from all over Spain and from the most prominent groups in the Basque Country. From August 14th to 22nd.
- Esférica Festival 2021. Summer cultural festival in Rioja, in the province of Álava. From August 19th to 22nd. In Rioja Alavesa.
- FesTVal – Spanish Television Festival. Festival dedicated exclusively to television in all its formats: contests, magazines, series, cultural, educational and social outreach programs, news programs, children’s, youth and adult entertainment… From August 31st to September 5th.
Basque culture activities in Bilbao
- ABC: The alphabet of the Bilbao Museum. Exhibition for its 110 years of inauguration. Museum of Fine Arts. From October 6th, 2018 until December 30th, 2021.
- Bilbao and the Painting. A perspective of painting in Bilbao on the 19th Century when Bilbao was one of the most important cities in Spain through a set of artist which incorporated French Impressionism and other avant-garde art currents. Bilbao Guggenheim Museum. From January 29th until August 28th.
- Mendiburu. Matter and memory. More than a hundred pieces including sculptures and works on paper. Museum of Fine Arts. Room 32. From April 14th until September 5th.
- Womanology. José Ramón Prieto Collection. Contemporary art made up exclusively of female artists, most of them belonging to the same generation. Museum of Fine Arts. From April 30th until September 5th.
- The roaring 20s. Exhibition at the Guggenheim Museum in which the artistic director of the Arriaga Theater, Calixto Bieito, participates as a designer. And in the theater you can see a program for two months that will evoke that time of effervescence and creative freedom. From May 7th to September 19th.
- Exhibition “Ibarrola in the estuary, water, iron, fire and air”. Exhibition by the Basque Agustín Ibarrola (Basauri, 1930) with 17 large-format oil paintings and 20 drawings on maritime and industrial themes of the Bilbao Estuary. From May 11th until January 31st., 2022.
- Exhibition “All concerts, every night, all empty” by the artist Ana Laura Aláez. Azkuna Center. From May 20th to September 26th.
- Exhibition “Luis Paret Sacred and profane art”. Articulated in two locations – the Museum of Fine Arts and the Museum of Sacred Art, both From June 9th until September 5th.
- The line of wit. Selection of works from the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao’s Own Collection whose common features are humor, wit and experimentation. From June 11th until February 6th.
- Theater: La Sala de María. Actress: Concha Velasco. Arriaga Theater. From August 19th to 22nd.
- Comedy “Escape Room”. Two couples of lifelong friends meet to go to an escape room in the Lavapiés neighborhood. Euskalduna Palace. From August 20th to 25th.
- Theater: All the killers. Actors: Carlos Sobera and Neus Asensi. Campos Eliseos Theater. From August 21st to 26th.
- Theater: “The Grönholm method”. It was released 15 years ago and continues to be successful. Euskalduna Palace. From August 26th to September 4th.
- Muntadas. The empty city. An audiovisual piece commissioned by the museum, in which the Catalan artist invites us to look at the city from a different point of view. Showing Bilbao, its current urban planning and its historical context, are the starting point for a broader investigation of public space and architecture. Until September 5th.
- Zura eta Ura. Photo exhibition that invites to think about the loss of identity in the fishermen ports after the progressive substitution of wooden boats by boats made of synthetic materials. Maritime Museum. Until September 26th.
Enjoy Basque Culture in San Sebastian and Hernani in August 2021
- Exhibition “Alaïa & Balenciaga. Sculptors of the form”. More than 100 works by both creators – Azzedine Alaïa (1935-2017) and Cristóbal Balenciaga (1895-1972) – belonging to the collections of the Azzedine Alaïa Foundation in Paris. Tenth anniversary of the Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum. From April 30th until October 31st. In Getaria.
- Exhibition: Hondalea (Sea Abyss). Inspired by the remarkable geology of the Basque coast, Cristina Iglesias has transformed the interior of the Casa del Faro on the island of Santa Clara, restoring it and turning it into a breathtaking sculptural environment. From June 3rd to September 29th.
- Horse races. Racecourse. Different dates from June to September 5th.
- Exhibition: “The longest trip. The first round the world”. In commemoration of the first circumnavigation of the earth by Magellan and Elcano. San Telmo Museum. From June 26th to October 24th.
- La Pastorale. Ludwig van Beethoven’s 6th Symphony, also known as the Pastoral Symphony, conveys the composer’s passionate love for nature. Malandain Ballet Biarritz. From July 29th to August 1st.
- St Ignatius Loiola Festival. Local music, food, drink and festivals. From July 30th to August 2nd. In Azpeitia, Biscay & Gipuzkoa.
- 82nd Donostia Musical Fortnight. It is the oldest classical music festival in Spain and one of the most established in Europe (Luxembourg Philharmonic Orchestra, Zukan Trio, Seldom Sene, Basque Country Orchestra, Grogory Sokolov, National Orchestra of Spain…). Kursaal Auditorium. From August 1st to 29th.
- Old music cycle. 82nd Donostia Musical Fortnight. Anachronía Ensemble, Judith Jauregui, Seldom Sene, Forma Antiqva, Hilko Dumno, Capella Mariana, Stephen Hough, Seiskilos Quartet … Museo San Telmo. From August 3rd to 26th.
- Chillida-Leku Museum Program. In Hernani.
- Tàpies in Zabalaga. Exhibition focused on the large-format sculptures of the Catalan artist. Free guided tour from June 12th to September 30th. From June 10th, 2021 to January 10th, 2022.
- Yoga between sculptures and Brunch. In case of rain the yoga session will be held in the Pilar Room of the museum. Every Saturday from July 3rd to August 29th.
- Outdoor movie nights. Programming of 4 recently released European independent cinema films that address current affairs. August 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th.
- Musical Fortnight – Gerhard Quartet. It is considered one of the chamber groups with the most projection in the country. August 22nd.
Basque Culture in Biarritz, Anglet and Saint Jean de Luz
- Exhibition – Event Jackie and the Kennedys. 164 large format prints, captioned by an anecdote, often unpublished. Public Garden, Grande Plage, Square d’Ixelles, Côte des Basques, Golf le Phare. From April 5th to September 5th.
- Basque ball- Punta Basket: Golden Glove. Euskal Jaï Aguilera Fronton. From July 7th to August 23rd.
- 12th Biarritz Piano Festival: Opening – Thomas Enhco & Vassilena Serafimova. Gare du Midi Theater. From July 22nd to August 13th.
- Summer table tennis tournaments. Les Goélands de Biarritz organize summer tournaments open to licensed players and the leisure public, adults and children. Dagorette room. Every Friday in July and August (except Friday August 13th).
- Cinema on the beach. Projection of a movie on a big screen. Chambre d’Amour. In Anglet. August 2nd, 9th, 16th and 23rd.
- Basque ball with leather paddle (very spectacular). Berri Square. In Biarritz. August 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th.
- Malandain Ballet Biarritz: La Pastorale. Beethoven music. Gare du Midi Theater. In Biarritz. August 5th and 6th.
- 8th Biennial of Contemporary Art. The Anglet Biennial of Contemporary Art has found its place at the national level in France with the presence of great artists who share their artistic creations with the public. Beach of the Chambre d’Amour. In Anglet. From August 7th to October 31st.
- Ravel Festival 2021. In Saint Jean de Luz and Ciboure. From August 22nd to September 10th.
- Pro Anglet. QS 1,500 professional surf competition. In Anglet. From August 24th to 29th.
You can also ask us about Basque culture activities if you have booked or are enjoying any of our personalized and private excursions in August 2021.
If you want to expand your knowledge about our private tours, you can contact us by clicking here.